Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JamieD76
Level: Powered On

Suitability of PowerApps for Applications with over 2000 records

Hi All,

I have been creating a number of small scale applications with less than 2000 records for about a year now.  My boss really likes one of the applications and has asked me to upscale the application for the whole company.  I'm a little concerned about agreeing to this as some of my applications have become quite slow and have a few bugs even with less than 500 records. 

My PowerApps are always connected to SharePoint lists and are already quite slow on displaying Galleries, Submitting Forms and Patching Data.  The App in question will have quite a lot of form Elements over 30 on the main form and will be connected to around 15 Sharepoint Lists.  I understand delegation and quite a few of the workarounds and I always try to write my list data to collections before displaying.

Could anyone please give me any guidance & tips on some of the following questions and concerns and please share experiences of running apps with 10's of 1000's of records.

• Is PowerApps the right tool for Applications with 10,000's of Records or should I be looking at another App development tool?
  • Should I be looking to use a different data source other than Sharepoint Lists.
  • Is my application going to slow right down once my Fac's table gets into 1000's of records.
  • Sometimes PowerApps just crashes out and restarts halfway through switching screens, does this happen to anybody.
  • Would it be a good idea to have my Admin (feeder lists) in another PowerApp and just have the key form and gallery in my main App?
  • If the user Requests more form elements, screens and datasources  is this going to affect performance?

I would appreciatte any feedback on any of the above as well as some examples of larger apps that people have built.  Ie I have built and with over 200,000 records over 30 forms and it runs no problem.  Man Happy

I am constantly looking for ways to improve performance but I'm still finding myself a little frustrated with PowerApps.

Many Thanks in Advance

Jamie

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: Suitability of PowerApps for Applications with over 2000 records

Like SharePoint the problem with massive amounts of records isn't storing them.  Its retrieving them. If you find ways to use delegable calls in your apps that never retrieve more than a few hundred records then you'll be fine.  The issue is most people just want to grab it all and sort and filter it out later. That won't work in PowerApps with any data source (and in general is a bad idea when building any software).  The one thing that some data sources have going for them over SharePoint, like SQL, is that more functions are delegable so its easier to filter what you are requesting from the data source.  Hope that helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @JamieD76 ,

1) If your records are over 2000, I recommend you use delegable functions to ensure your app perform well.

Here's a doc about delegable functions in SharePoint:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/sharepointonline/

2)Using  delegable data source is enough and SharePoint is delegable.

3)Yes, if the data is large, it will effect the app's performance.

Here're some tips about improving performance:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/performance-tips

4)No, I did't met this problem.

Try to clear your browser's cache and update it to the latest version.

5) Yes, make the app smaller will help the app perform better.

6)Yes, app's performance is related to many things.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Sofie_D
Level 8

If you need more than 2000 records I'd recommend using a SQL DB as a datasource. It gives you a lot more delegable functions, and even if you need some that aren't delegable you can do a lot of workaround with Views and Stored Procedures.

Even with the cheapest SQL DB on Azure (about 4$/month if I remember right), this is a huge performance increase compared to SharePoint lists.

Splitting the Admin functionalities into a second app should also help performance, although unless you have 10+ screens, this shouldn't affect the performance too much.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 195 members 4,272 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: