cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

UNIVERSAL LINKS: Don't open in PowerApps container app on iPhone

According to this blog post, "Universal links" in the format of `https://web.powerapps.com/apps/<appID>` should open in the browser if opened on a laptop and should open in the PowerApps mobile app if opened on an iDevice. 

This is not the case. 

If I open a link in this format on my iPhone, it opens in the browser with a message:

image.png

The message makes it sound like I don't have PowerApps installed on my device (which I do). Then user has to click the link within that message to open the app. 

Is there a true universal link that will directly open in the mobile app?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: UNIVERSAL LINKS: Don't open in PowerApps container app on iPhone

Hi @ericonline ,

Have you installed the PowerApps Mobile App within your iOS device?

Do you want to open a canvas app within PowerApps Mobile App in your iOS device via clicking the App URL?

If you want to open a canvas app within PowerApps Mobile App in your iOS device via clicking the App URL, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

In default, when you click the App URL in your Mobile device, it would open a web page in browser in your Mobile device rather than open the specific app using PowerApps Mobile App.

In additon, based on the message that you mentioned, it means that your canvas app are using some features/funcationalities are not supported within browser in Mobile deivce. Please consider open your app using PowerApps Mobile App directly, rather than open the app via clicking the App URL.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Super User
Super User

Hi Kris,

1. Yes PowerApps Mobile App is installed on the device

2. The blog post sure makes it sound as if the links are "Universal", one link which opens app in browser if on laptop, same link opens app in the PowerApps mobile app if on mobile device. I guess they are not quite universal.

RE: "In additon, based on the message that you mentioned, it means that your canvas app are using some features/funcationalities are not supported within browser in Mobile deivce.":

• This app only connects to Sharepoint lists. No unique functionality
  • I believe the message is incorrect.

RE: "Please consider open your app using PowerApps Mobile App directly, rather than open the app via clicking the App URL." :

• I'm trying to make it easier for USERS to open the app.
  • Having to train new users on how to open the app on a laptop vs. how to open the app on a mobile device is a pain. 
  • It sounded that Universal Links solved this problem, but apparently not
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for sharing this information @ericonline. I will forward this on to see if the blog post needs to be updated 

@TopShelf-MSFT 

Super User
Super User

Hi,

Do we have any update on this?

I'm trying to help a friend with their PowerApps iDevices, and they are facing the same issue. They only use iDevices.

Kind Regards,

Sancho

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' and 'Thumbs Up' those who deserve it!
Super User
Super User

Hi!

We were able to get around this issue using the link format:

Launch("/providers/Microsoft.PowerApps/apps/[YourAppIDHere]")

Which then opened powerapps regardless of mobile device (iphone/android/etc).

The only caveat is that if you are opening from PC, it opens in the browser, and it opens the Editor if you have Owner rights to the App.

Cheers,

Sancho

Super User
Super User

Hi @iAm_ManCat ,

The link you mentioned looks like an "in-app" link (a hyperlink FROM WITHIN a PowerApp TO another PowerApp).

My initial post was regarding a hyperlink that when clicked...

• ...from an email which has been opened on an iPhone/Android, will open a given PowerApp in the PowerApp container app
  • ...from an email which has been opened on a laptop, will open a given PowerApp in the browser

I'm looking to send a single hyperlink to users which will open a PowerApp regardless of which device they are on.

Have you come across a method for this?

Super User
Super User

Ahhh, sorry I had a similar but not-quite-exact issue!

The issue we faced was that on iOS devices, the in-App launch links did not open within the App but opened a browser on the mobile instead - resolved using that format I suggested.

In terms of your issue, the problem is that the device determines how it opens hyperlinks, so I don't think you can set PowerApps to have a link like that.
Your mobile device will read the link as a hyperlink and open it with App that is associated for hyperlinks for that device so if Edge is set as default, it will use that or etc etc - but a PowerApps link that will always open in App/Browser is not really possible at present (to my knowledge) due to link being read by the phone and only one associated mobile app being allowed by most mobile devices for any action - ie if you open .eml or .msg files, it will try open it with whatever mail client you have set by default on that particular device.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 326 members 3,722 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: