cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sable1
Level: Powered On

Unattended Applications

I'm trying to learn a little about PowerApps.  The more I look, the more it looks like PowerApps must be initiated/run by users either on their desktop or on a mobile device and that there's no capability to create an app that just runs on a Windows server (like a windows service or a scheduled job).  Does PowerApps have that capability?  If so, an article or information on that capability would be great.  Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Unattended Applications

PowerApps are UI driven. I think what you are looking for is Flow (also part of the Power Platform).

Note that Flows run in the cloud, not on your own server, but can connect many different data sources and services and can be triggered manually, on a schedule or on an event (such as a row being modified in Azure SQL DB or SharePoint, an email arriving, a file being saved to OneDrive or a SharePoint library and so on).

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @sable1 ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to create an app which could be initiated automatically rather than initiated manually?

If you want to create a PowerApps app which could be initiated automatically rather than initiated manually, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

If you want to create an app just like a  scheduled job, I think Microsoft Flow could achieve your needs. You could use Microsoft Flow to design some automated workflows beteewn your service and service.

If you want to create a scheduled job, I think the "Schedule" trigger in Microsoft Flow could achieve your needs. More details about creating a sceduled flows, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/run-scheduled-tasks

More details about Microsoft Flow, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/getting-started

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

PowerApps are UI driven. I think what you are looking for is Flow (also part of the Power Platform).

Note that Flows run in the cloud, not on your own server, but can connect many different data sources and services and can be triggered manually, on a schedule or on an event (such as a row being modified in Azure SQL DB or SharePoint, an email arriving, a file being saved to OneDrive or a SharePoint library and so on).

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @sable1 ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to create an app which could be initiated automatically rather than initiated manually?

If you want to create a PowerApps app which could be initiated automatically rather than initiated manually, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

If you want to create an app just like a  scheduled job, I think Microsoft Flow could achieve your needs. You could use Microsoft Flow to design some automated workflows beteewn your service and service.

If you want to create a scheduled job, I think the "Schedule" trigger in Microsoft Flow could achieve your needs. More details about creating a sceduled flows, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/run-scheduled-tasks

More details about Microsoft Flow, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/getting-started

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

sable1
Level: Powered On

Yes.  This sounds like what I am talking about.  I will look further into this component.  Thanks for your response!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 90 members 3,633 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: