Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
slan2018
Level: Powered On

Updating a drop down to a slider and Sharepoint connectivity

Good morning,

I have an app built using an editable form from a Sharepoint list. For one of the fields, i'm trying to replace the drop down with a slider. I seem to be able to delete the drop down section and move a slider in there instead, and have figured it out how to update a text box with the slider value. 

I thought everything was fine, but when I "Submit" the form, the value doesn't submit with all the other fields. I feel like I am missing a link between either the slider value/text box value and my Sharepoint list. 

image.png

Or is there maybe just a way to have the slider update the Find Items dropdown and keep it invisible? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
mdevaney
Level 8

Re: Updating a drop down to a slider and Sharepoint connectivity

@slan2018

The issue is being caused because the Slider returns a number but a Choice field in Sharepoint requires you to return a record (e.g. $0 might be record 0, $250 might be record 1, etc. etc.).  Do you only want to allow the values displayed in your drop-down?

My approach to this problem would be to change the Sharepoint List to a number column.  Now the slider value and the Sharepoint column will have the same data type.  Then, use the following formula on the Update property of the slider (and the Text field of your label)

Round(Slider.Value,0) * 250

Finally, set the Minimum and Maximum allowable values of your slider as desired.  For instance min=0 and max=10 would allow the user to select between 0 and 2,500 in 250 dollar increments.

I am curious to see what @iAm_ManCat has as his suggested approach.

Super User
Super User

Hi @mdevaney@slan2018

You shouldn't need to edit the SharePoint column, I was able to create a POC, delete the dropdown altogether and only use a slider.

I agree with setting slider1.value * 250, however you can also concat text on the front with & then wrap all of that to create a record:

Update:

{Value: "$" & (Slider2.Value*250)}

Using this I was able to write those values to the choice field mapped with choices of $250, $500 etc

Hope this is helpful!

Cheers,

Sancho

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' and 'Thumbs Up' those who deserve it!
14 REPLIES 14
mdevaney
Level 8

@slan2018

When you replace the dropdown control with a slider you've got to change the Update property of the Datacard for Amount of Setup Fee.  Try something like this:

Slider.Value

Let me know if that works for you

---

Please click "Accept as Solution" if my response helped to solve your issue so that others may find it more quickly.  If your thought the post was helpful please give it a "Thumbs Up."

Super User
Super User

What is the Update field for the DataCard set to - this is how it knows what to use to update that field.

If you could post a screenshot of the datacard settings, it might be that your datacard is looking at the wrong field if you created it from scratch, or that the update item is blank or invalid (update should point to the text field, however if you've added $ to the text field and its a number field, then it wont be able to update with that value for example as it contains non-numericals).

slan2018

Hi @ mdevaney, I tried updating the data card with slider1.value and im getting an error. Any thoughts?

image.png

slan2018

Hi @iAm_ManCat , the below is how it was set up. I changed the update field to Slider1.Value and Slider1.Selected and it didn't work. Any thoughts?

image.png

mdevaney
Level 8

@slan2018 

Could you please share the error you received?  I tested the solution on my side so it will help to understand what is different between our two apps.

Super User
Super User

Are the values inside that dropdown Number values only (no $ or £ etc in front which would make them text)?

If yes, then you can use DataCardValue1.Selected.Value (if Value is the name of the choice, just use the intellisense to get that)

mdevaney
Level 8

@iAm_ManCat 

Yeah, I'd put my money on that being the problem too.  Once @slan2018 responds maybe he can tell us if that $1000 is a text string or a formatted number.

slan2018

@mdevaney 

image.png

slan2018

@mdevaney  and @iAm_ManCat - here's what the dropdown values are. I do hope to get rid of the drop down and replace it with a slider, if that matters. 

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 195 members 4,119 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: