cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
akosiwong
Level: Powered On

help on tutorial

Hi,

I am new to powerapps and I am following the step by step instruction here create from blank. However, I got some issues on adding changescreen. I can not use the Schedule datasource previously used on Viewscreen. Do i really need to add the same xlsx file on the changescreen?

Thanks,

Gilbert

Thanks,
Gilbert
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
PowerApps Staff CarlosFigueira
PowerApps Staff

Re: help on tutorial

I believe you imported the Excel file directly - you may have something like this when you go to View -> Data Sources:

ForumPost001.png

Notice the "Imported from Excel". When you add the data source, if you use the first option that you see:

ForumPost002.png

Then the table in the Excel file will be copied to the app: you cannot make changes to it using a form, for example. What you need to do is to copy the Excel file to some cloud storage provider (OneDrive, Dropbox, Box, etc.), and then find the Excel file that you copied there. If you have the Excel table in such provider, you will be able to use the app across multiple devices (and share it with other people) and they will all be referencing the same data source. In your case, you can remove the data source that you added (click the '...' by it, then Remove), and add the connected data source with your table.

ForumPost003.png

Once you do that you should be able to use that table in your form.

3 REPLIES 3
PowerApps Staff

The data sources are "global" to the app - they are available in all screens, so you should be able to use it on the change screen. What issues are you having?

akosiwong
Level: Powered On

Hi,

I can see the imported datasource Schedule if I go to "View/Datasources". that datasource is what i used on the viewscreen. then when the instruction is to create a chagescreen, and edit a form, i can not see the "Schedule" in the list of datasources. It is not included in the dropdown where i can select datasource. I can force it by writing "Schedule" in the Datasource property, but still, if i select the form, it says no datasource is selected.

Thanks,
Gilbert
Highlighted
PowerApps Staff

I believe you imported the Excel file directly - you may have something like this when you go to View -> Data Sources:

ForumPost001.png

Notice the "Imported from Excel". When you add the data source, if you use the first option that you see:

ForumPost002.png

Then the table in the Excel file will be copied to the app: you cannot make changes to it using a form, for example. What you need to do is to copy the Excel file to some cloud storage provider (OneDrive, Dropbox, Box, etc.), and then find the Excel file that you copied there. If you have the Excel table in such provider, you will be able to use the app across multiple devices (and share it with other people) and they will all be referencing the same data source. In your case, you can remove the data source that you added (click the '...' by it, then Remove), and add the connected data source with your table.

ForumPost003.png

Once you do that you should be able to use that table in your form.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 472 members 5,440 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: