cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Microsoft Employee

mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

This is a bit strange. I noticed in the past few days that when using the command

 

Launch("mailto:myemail@email.com?subject=Something goes here")

 

my resulting email message subject line reads "Something+goes+here", adding in the "+"s instead of just incorporating the spaces. I've tried using the "%20" escape method but to no avail.

 

Can any one else reproduce this? Is this a known issue with the latest release?

 

Thanks!

 

MV

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NK-CSC
Level: Powered On

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

For what it's worth, the use of the "?" makes the string populate as a query (like what goes into a search engine URL), so instead use:

 

Launch("mailto:myemail@email.com&subject=Something goes here")

 

If you want to use variables from the app, use:

 

Launch("mailto:"& ThisItem.Email&  "&subject=Something goes here")

 

I was able to reproduce your issue and overcome it. Hope it works for you as well.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Super User
Super User

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

Hi

 

I have been using Launch("mailto...") any problem for months and recently not aware of such issues.

I tried Launch again and I can reproduce the same as you, with + in between two phrases with (with spaces).

 

Hope PG can look into this.

 

TQ

hpkeong
Lingualizer
Level: Powered On

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

Yes, the same here.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

Hi MAV_CB,

 

It seems that this issue has been fixed now. Please try again with this and let me know if it works on your side.

 

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Microsoft Employee

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

Hi Mabel. Unfortunately the issue still persists Smiley Sad. I'm running version 2.0.560 of the app updated on 11/28

 

Thanks!

 

Mark V.

Vicky_Song
Level: Powered On

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

@MAV_CB, @Lingualizer I can reproduce the same issue. I will try involving other engineers to have a check on it. Thanks for reporting this issue.

NK-CSC
Level: Powered On

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

For what it's worth, the use of the "?" makes the string populate as a query (like what goes into a search engine URL), so instead use:

 

Launch("mailto:myemail@email.com&subject=Something goes here")

 

If you want to use variables from the app, use:

 

Launch("mailto:"& ThisItem.Email&  "&subject=Something goes here")

 

I was able to reproduce your issue and overcome it. Hope it works for you as well.

View solution in original post

meganschu
Level: Powered On

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

I am using the format you suggest:

Launch("mailto:"& ThisItem.Email&  "&subject=Something goes here")

 

But I am still experiencing the + issue. I also tried the %20 with no success.

Microsoft Employee

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

Thanks for the reply. Totally worked when I changed out the "?" character for an "&" instead.

 

MV

NK-CSC
Level: Powered On

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

What application is the + subject line launching in (Mail,Outlook,etc.)? What is the operating platform (iOS, Android, W10)?

 

Try without the spaces:

 

Launch("mailto:"&ThisItem.Email&"&subject=TEXT HERE")

 

(I would suggest copying the above text and pasting it into notepad to strip any formating or errant characters before inserting it into the app.)

 

The '%20' attempt is likely not going to resolve the issue. That is just a place holder for a space. The issues lies in the fact that the subject string is not being properly interpreted as a text string.

 

I would say update the code, update the data sources, save the app, wait about 5-10 minutes, then relaunch the application from your platform (make sure it reacquires the app file) and try again.

 

Good Luck

 

 

 

 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 70 members 3,547 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: