cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: phone number link

It talks to a customer database of 3000 records, so would not be possible to hard-code.... anything else I could try to resolve?

davidstone
Level 8

I am (unfortunately!) able to re-create your issue, just by creating a brand new app and setting a variable to hold the phone number. Save the app, launch on Android and it's fine, launch on iOS and it doesn't work - just launches a browser attempting to reach 'tel'.

I've tried various workarounds, including putting the 'tel:' into the variable too - doesn't work, although stil works on Android.

Interesting that you have colleagues for whom it works and others for whom it doesn't - and you say they're all on iPhones? If that's the case, it would be useful to try and understand any differences between your versions, both of the hardware, OS version and PowerApps build you're all running.

Highlighted
Kumbol
Level: Powered On

I confirm the issue with my app as well, running latest iOS 10.3.3. It wasn't happening with previous PowerApps version, it seems a new bug was introduced in 2.0.670.

I am using following OnSelect formulas, to strip numbers from spaces, which tended to help to initiate the iOS dialer (a workaround found somwhere on these forums):

Launch("tel:"&Substitute(CellPhone;" ";""))

Weirdly enough, some numbers still do work and try turn the dialler, but most take directly to Safari. I think the ones with most obvious phone prefix, like starting with +48 or bracketed prefix work.

It's a pretty nasty issue for apps designed as contact hubs, as mine :-(

gvraaijvm
Level: Power Up

Had exactly the same issue, tried everything, untill I prefixed all phone numbers with the country code.
Eg. +31 6 12345678 (for the Netherlands)
That did it for me. ;-)
Thanks Kummbol

MichaelN

This fixed me, too... I'm in the US, so I added the "+1" country code.  Thanks!!

Kumbol

After the last update of the PowerApps client, this trick isn't longer necessary. I can initiate the dialer with any number, with or without the prefix. Just so you know :-)

OldJDEr

AW

Thanks for the explanation and examples. I set mine up just like you did on the BrowseScreen and it worked like a champ. However, when I tried to use the same method on the DetailScreen, I cannot get it to launch the phone number. I tried 2 formats, Launch("tel:" & ThisItem.Primary_x0020_Phone) and Launch("tel:" & DataCardValue4), thinking I had to use the value on the data card. So far nothing I tried works on the DetailForm. What is the correct syntax to make it work on the DetailScreen?

New11

Hi OldJDEr
Have you found a solution for the link (phone number) in a DetailScreen?
KShankle

I have not.  That said, I have not been able to work on it.  At this time consider my issue closed and I will reopen when I can.

Thanks for following up.

K

Pnolan

You also have to ensure that the datacard is DisplayMode.Edit now DisplayMode.View

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 187 members 4,218 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: