cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

BPF multiple entities Relationship N:1 issue

Hi,

I have created a BPF on a custom entity. The custom entity has a relation (N:1) with contacts. I want to use the custom entity and the contact entity. I have setup the stages (first custom than contact) and activated the BPF. The problem is that the user only can create a new contact to move the stage, the BPF doesn't use the related field on the custom entity. (and can't find records at all)

To clearify the businesscase a little:

We are in recruitment so we have candidates and vacancies. The candidate applies for the vacancy. So we have the following entities:

- Contacts (for candidates but also business contacts, indicated by a custom field on contacts)

- Vacanies (custom entity), not involved in this matter

- job applications (custom entity) N:1 contact and N:1 on vacanies

We want to have a BPF on Job applications to support the application process. In this proces we need to edit the contact (complete and check candidate data) and on the job application entity data that is specific for this job application (a candidate can apply on more jobs so to start with contacts is not a option (need trigger on new job application and a candidate can have more job applications at the same time).

What I have done:

Create de BPF with the stages:

- 1: Job application (data steps only)

- 2: Contacts (data steps only)

- 3: Job application (data steps only)

I  activated the BPF and added the BPF in the application designer (sales Enterprise).

When a test the BPF it will appears on new job applications (so far so good) but can't move to the second stage because the systeem asked for a contact. the contact (candidate) is already entered when the job application record is created (the record is automatic created with PowerAutomate). Secondary I can't select a existing contact records, I have to create a new contact record to proceed.

As a solution I also tried to fill the contactID directly on the BPF entity with PowerAutomate (flow), the flow fails ("code":"0x80060441","message":"Record for entity 'contact' is not in the traversed path 'dc04d5b6-6bbf-4640-9705-e53acf683a33'), I don't understand the traversed path field (when I use the Original value of traversed path and add the contactid to this value the flow still breaks).

Can somebody helpout?

Many thanks!

Regards,

Rory

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Re: BPF multiple entities Relationship N:1 issue

As far as I know, the multi entity process flow primarily works by starting from a parent entity, then to a newly created child entity. The one exception to this is that the flow can then go back from the child entity to the original parent.

So, I think you only option is to have the BPF start on the Contact, then do the other steps. This could be just a step that gives the option to create the application, but I think that's your only option. This would cause a potential issue if you had more than one active (i.e. during the BPF) application for a contact, though you'd have that issue anyway even if you could start at the application (which is probably one reason why you can't go from a child entity to any parent in a BPF)

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi David,

Thank you for taking the time to help.

I think that starting form the contact entity can't be done in this businesscase because:

1. We need to start the BPF automatic when there is a jobapplication (the jobapplication record is generated automatic with PowerAutomate (form on our website).

2. a contact can have more active jobapplications than 1

What are your thoughts?

Microsoft is looking into it (I have made a case and the recorded a Team session), if they have a solution I will let you know. Otherwise I am thinking of to create duplicate fields on the job application entity and update (with PowerAutomate) the contact record.

If you have a better solution let me please know!

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Rory

Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

If the jobapplication is created automatically, then yes, it won't be possible to start from the contact entity. 

Duplicating the fields from the contact onto the jobapplication entity is probably your best option; it's not that unusual to duplicate fields for reasons like this. You could use either a CDS workflow or a Power Automate flow to update the fields on the contact

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (7,079)