cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Caveats with using in-built User entity?

I'm building an app that uses the organisations users, so I decided that the built-in entity User should meet my needs. In using this entity do I need to take into account any caveats?

For example;

1. Can the user record remain in the CDS even though the user leaves the org. and is deleted from Office365?
  2. Is the user creation in the user entity a one time synchronisation from Office365 (AAD)?
  3. In my test the managed-by attribute (Manager) is not synchronised from O365 to CDS, or the Manager was set after initial synch.

Many thanks

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Re: Caveats with using in-built User entity?

1. Can the user record remain in the CDS even though the user leaves the org. and is deleted from Office365?
    Yes the user record will remain so it exists for historic purposes. From memory you will need to manually reassign records belonging to the user but there are ways to do update records in bulk (but I can't remember how).
  2. Is the user creation in the user entity a one time synchronisation from Office365 (AAD)?
    Yes from memory, there is an initial first load and then it will create new users as licenses are assigned to the user
  3. In my test the managed-by attribute (Manager) is not synchronised from O365 to CDS, or the Manager was set after initial synch.
    That is a known issue, managers need to be assigned to users separately as the O365 synch does not include it. One solution is to export the user records in excel and add the manager records that way.
---
If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Yes the user record will remain so it exists for historic purposes. From memory you will need to manually reassign records belonging to the user but there are ways to do update records in bulk (but I can't remember how).
    Yes from memory, there is an initial first load and then it will create new users as licenses are assigned to the user
    That is a known issue, managers need to be assigned to users separately as the O365 synch does not include it. One solution is to export the user records in excel and add the manager records that way.
---
If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Ben,

Thank you for the insight and information.

For the third point I guess I could explore adding a flow based on record change in the user entity or run on a schedule to check the manager setting in AAD compared with Dynamics. If I can't change the record via flow then I could use the third-party solution for managing CDS records with PowerShell - https://github.com/seanmcne/Microsoft.Xrm.Data.PowerShell and described by Access your Common Data Service using PowerShell (sharepains.com)

Thanks again

Paul

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (7,845)