cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
kman42
Level: Powered On

Confused about CDS relationships

I have two entities that I would like to relate, 'proposal' and 'team'. This should be a one-to-many relationship using the proposal_id field as the key. I can't figure out how to do this. When I create a new relationship, it doesn't give me the option to select the common key field. There are fields for Lookup Field Name and Lookup Field Display Name, but I can't select proposal_id. It tells me there is already a field of that name. I guess I am used to just selecting the columns in the tables that form the relationship and not quite understanding how this works in CDS with entities.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kman42

Re: Confused about CDS relationships

Thank you. How do I keep the data up to date? Can the import wizard run on a refresh schedule like dataflow?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @kman42 ,

Firstly, only 1:N or N:1 relationship has a lookup field.

Secondly, you do not need to create a lookup field.

After you create a 1:N/N:1 relationship, a lookup field will generate in primary entity(the one represents N) automatically.

Then in the app, you could use this "N" entity to get the data from "1" entity by using this lookup field.

For example: 1 entity named testone, N entity named testmany, I create a 1:N relationship between them. 

In the app, connect your app with testone entity and testmany entity.

Insert a gallery, set its data source to testmany, set one label inside the gallery's Text: ThisItem.lookupfieldname.field in test one

Then you could get data from testone by using this lookup field.

You could only filter data based on it.

Here's a doc about relationship for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/common-data-service/data-platform-entity-lookup

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
kman42

I don't understand. How does it know which records in the many table are associated with which records in the one table? Normally, this would be done with a key/foreign key connection. If I don't tell it which column to use as the key/foreign key after I import my data, how does it know how to relate the tables?

Proposal

ID 

Team

ID          Name

1            Bob

1            Susie

1            Phil

2            Bob

2            John

3            Lisa

3            Susie

3            Kent

3            John

Super User
Super User

Hi @kman42 

PowerApps uses its own GUID to maintain the relationships so it is not necessary to manually map the foreign keys going forward.  However, if you want to import pre-existing data into related entities, at the present time, the best way to do this is using the data import wizard from Dynamics 365.  There is a useful blog post that shows you exactly how.  https://devblogs.microsoft.com/premier-developer/how-to-import-related-data-into-dynamics-365/  You can get there from https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/  sign in and select environments.  The gear labelled settings in the header will open this page.  The wizard is under the Data Management section.  Once you have imported the data and mapped the Lookup fields, the relationships should be maintained automatically by PowerApps using its own GUIDs. Capture.PNG

kman42

Thank you. How do I keep the data up to date? Can the import wizard run on a refresh schedule like dataflow?

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

You can save the data map and reuse it to import new records. There is no way to schedule the data import at this time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,832)