cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Data Storage

I am used to using PowerApps in SharePoint but having a hard time understanding the storage in CDS. So answering knowing more of my knowledge is in SharePoint will help. 

I successfully created a custom entity with PowerApps and it was fast. I love it, but I don't understand how this works in a large company. In SharePoint, when you create a form in a list I understand the permissions and who has access. Is my custom entity only available to me? Can anyone in my environment create a PowerApp and connect to my entity? I was hoping that an entity would be like a SharePoint list.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Data Storage

Hi @send2mark ,

Do you want to make your entity used by others?

Yes, this is possible.

Firstly, let me explain about CDS.

CDS is a data source. You could see it as sharepoint.

CDS in one environment is a place to store multiple entities. You could see it as a sharepoint site. CDS in different environments are isolated from each other. Just like different sharepoint sites are  isolated from each other.

One entity in one cds is a table. You could see it as a list in a sharepoint site.

Secondly, the permission of CDS.

In powerapps, the permission of CDS is environment level.

One environment could only has one CDS.

If you assign user the permission of CDS in environment1, then this user will only has this permission of CDS in environment1, but he does not have the permission of CDS in other environments.

So to answer your question, how to give other users the permission of one entity?

1)create a security role with the permission of this entity

(security role is environment level)

In power platform, choose the environment that the entity belongs to, choose settings, choose security role.

2)assign user this security role

In power platform, choose the environment that the entity belongs to, choose settings, choose users.

3256.PNG

Here's a doc about the permission of environment for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/database-security

Then this user will have permission on this entity.

He will be able to run the app connected with this entity.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Data Storage

Hi @send2mark ,

Do you want to make your entity used by others?

Yes, this is possible.

Firstly, let me explain about CDS.

CDS is a data source. You could see it as sharepoint.

CDS in one environment is a place to store multiple entities. You could see it as a sharepoint site. CDS in different environments are isolated from each other. Just like different sharepoint sites are  isolated from each other.

One entity in one cds is a table. You could see it as a list in a sharepoint site.

Secondly, the permission of CDS.

In powerapps, the permission of CDS is environment level.

One environment could only has one CDS.

If you assign user the permission of CDS in environment1, then this user will only has this permission of CDS in environment1, but he does not have the permission of CDS in other environments.

So to answer your question, how to give other users the permission of one entity?

1)create a security role with the permission of this entity

(security role is environment level)

In power platform, choose the environment that the entity belongs to, choose settings, choose security role.

2)assign user this security role

In power platform, choose the environment that the entity belongs to, choose settings, choose users.

3256.PNG

Here's a doc about the permission of environment for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/database-security

Then this user will have permission on this entity.

He will be able to run the app connected with this entity.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (5,742)