cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mike528
Level: Powered On

Default Environment Purpose - No Backup for CDS

I learned over the last few days that CDS backups are not supported in default environment. This was the official response from Microsoft support. I find this odd, it's not documented anywhere that I could find, and there is no error message when you try to get to the backups through the admin portal, you simply can't get to that functionality. New experience doesn't even show the backup/restore link.

So, my open question is "what is the purpose and intended use for the default environment?".  Power Apps using CDS certainly would not be one since it can't be backed up. Anyone know of a good article on this topic or have otherwise determined when it's appropriate to use the default environment? Or the intent to always create another environment. However, last time I checked, you cannot use Data Gateway in environments other than default. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Default Environment Purpose - No Backup for CDS

Hi @mike528 :
1)the usage of default environment

Whenever a new user signs up for PowerApps, they are automatically added to the Maker role of the default environment.

So you could see default environment as a public environment of your tenant.

The data and apps are public by default in this environment.

Here's a doc about default environment for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/environments-overview

2)the reason why you need to create other environments

You could see environment as a space including data and apps.

The data and apps belong to one environment, then other environments can not use them.

So you could see environment separating data and apps in different spaces.

On one hand, it could help distinguish data and apps. For example, usually, we will use an environment for development, one for production.

On the other hand, it could ensure data's security. Make different users have different permission on different environments.

What's more, it could also ensure data's integrity by creating different data loss policy in different environments.

3)can not use gateway in other environments except default environment

Yes, it is gateway's limit.

Gateways and on-premises connections can only be created and used in the user's default environment.

Here's a doc about it for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/gateway-management

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @mike528 :
1)the usage of default environment

Whenever a new user signs up for PowerApps, they are automatically added to the Maker role of the default environment.

So you could see default environment as a public environment of your tenant.

The data and apps are public by default in this environment.

Here's a doc about default environment for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/environments-overview

2)the reason why you need to create other environments

You could see environment as a space including data and apps.

The data and apps belong to one environment, then other environments can not use them.

So you could see environment separating data and apps in different spaces.

On one hand, it could help distinguish data and apps. For example, usually, we will use an environment for development, one for production.

On the other hand, it could ensure data's security. Make different users have different permission on different environments.

What's more, it could also ensure data's integrity by creating different data loss policy in different environments.

3)can not use gateway in other environments except default environment

Yes, it is gateway's limit.

Gateways and on-premises connections can only be created and used in the user's default environment.

Here's a doc about it for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/gateway-management

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

mike528
Level: Powered On

@v-yutliu-msft 

Thank you for the post but I fail to see the point to having an environment (default) that will allow you to create a CDS database and create apps updating it, with no ability to back it up.

I do understand the point to the other environments. Unfortunately, trying to move my CDS customizations to a new environment continues to fail with no real error message. I've since decided to go back to Azure SQL DB where I have control. Running into too many issues with CDS and getting black box error messages. Sad, I was looking forward to utilizing it. Maybe after some bugs are worked out.

With reference to the gateway, how would you expect to create an app in an environment other than default that needs to access on-prem data? ALM using environments goes out the window. Are there no exceptions to using gateways in other environments?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,923)