cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcRohde
Level: Powered On

Define Prefix on Entity?

When I'm creating an entity in PowerApps it is auto-assigning a prefix like the attached. I'm wondering if there is a way for me to define my own prefix.

When defining custom entities in CRM we typically define a prefix that indicates our company or function so we can quickly find related custom entities. I would like to do the same with Power Apps if possible.

An example would be: hr_Employee, hr_Address, hr_TrainingRecord

Interested in feedback and best practices.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Define Prefix on Entity?

Hi @MarcRohde 

It is not intuitively obvious how to do this and maybe this will help a bit.  When you are in the Solutions section, you need to click on the gear icon in the upper right hand side of the screen. Under the Advanced Customerizations find Publisher and click on All publishers.  You will then be able to input your information as a new publisher and select your own prefix. Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Hi @MarcRohde 

If you define the entity from within the Solutions section you can set your own prefix.  To do that, you would create a new solution and then either create new elements like an entity or app.  However, if you bring in previously created entities, I don't believe you can change the prefix for that element.  see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/developer/common-data-service/work-solutions

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @MarcRohde ,

Yes, as @Drrickryp  said, if you define the entity from within the Solutions section, you could custom Prefix.

But if you just create entity in CDS, the Prefix can not be changed. It is generated by system.

What's more, the entity's name can not be changed after being created.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @MarcRohde 

It is not intuitively obvious how to do this and maybe this will help a bit.  When you are in the Solutions section, you need to click on the gear icon in the upper right hand side of the screen. Under the Advanced Customerizations find Publisher and click on All publishers.  You will then be able to input your information as a new publisher and select your own prefix. Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

MarcRohde
Level: Powered On

Probably more of a best practice question than a technical question, would you generally have a new publisher for each solution you want a different prefix? I can see where I can change the prefix on either the default or create a new Publisher and is seems like the logical step to organizing this would be to create one publisher per solution.

I'm thinking that I may be well served to create a solution for common entities so I can name them something like shared_Parts or shared_Locations.  Then creating a different publisher for entities that are unique to a given project.

I'm doing development for internal (rather than commercial) use so I'm planning some of the architecture on the front end so I don't need to clean it up later.

Super User
Super User

Hi @MarcRohde 

If you want a different prefix, I don't see any other way around it than to create a new publisher profile.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Demo Extravaganza Championship Voting Open

Voting Ends: October 30, 2019!

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Users Online
Currently online: 424 members 4,700 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: