Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Entity and Multi Currency Fields

Hi,

I have created 3 currency fields for one of my entities (field1, field2, field3).

In my environment Settings, 4 currencies have been added (Euro, Dollar, Sterling, CHF)

Is that possible to create 3 records for this entity with :

- First Record : field1 denominated in euro, field2 denominated in dollar, field3 denominated in dollar

- Second Record : field1 denominated in Sterling, field2 denominated in CHF, field3 denominated in Euro

- Third Record : field1 denominated in Euro, field2 denominated in Euro, field3 denominated in Euro

How can I do that ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Entity and Multi Currency Fields

tl;dr: you don't need to do that because there is a base money value for every money field in the base currency.

Every money field stores data in two fields--the currency field and the base currency field.

when you put a value in the money field (think estimated revenue), it is translated to the base currency in the base field based on the exchange rates you have populated on the currency record.

There is also a currency lookup on the record that has a money field on it--this defaults to whatever the default currency of the user is.

You cannot have different currencies on the same record--they all use the specified record currency.

Note--you can use the base currency to your favor here--using base currency you can derive what the value is in any currency by multiplying it by the exchange rate.

that's why if you ever do any reporting, charts, etc, you want to use base currency so you don't add different currency values together.

Also, it is up to you to update your exchange rates, the system doesn't update them automatically.

I wrote this guide 6 years ago, it is still accurate: https://www.crmsoftwareblog.com/2014/03/dynamics-crm-multiple-currencies/

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

tl;dr: you don't need to do that because there is a base money value for every money field in the base currency.

Every money field stores data in two fields--the currency field and the base currency field.

when you put a value in the money field (think estimated revenue), it is translated to the base currency in the base field based on the exchange rates you have populated on the currency record.

There is also a currency lookup on the record that has a money field on it--this defaults to whatever the default currency of the user is.

You cannot have different currencies on the same record--they all use the specified record currency.

Note--you can use the base currency to your favor here--using base currency you can derive what the value is in any currency by multiplying it by the exchange rate.

that's why if you ever do any reporting, charts, etc, you want to use base currency so you don't add different currency values together.

Also, it is up to you to update your exchange rates, the system doesn't update them automatically.

I wrote this guide 6 years ago, it is still accurate: https://www.crmsoftwareblog.com/2014/03/dynamics-crm-multiple-currencies/

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

This will be a conference that you do not want to miss!

secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (6,100)