Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

Entity file field type but no control?

Hi,

So we have a file field type in entities, awesome! But no file control in PowerApps?

I have seen posts where people strip controls from forms and use it elsewhere on the screen, but that can't be the right way, can it?

I'm wondering whats the recommended approach to pass a file (not just an image through the image control) from PowerApps to a Flow which would then decide where/how to upload it in an entity record's file field type.

If its not supported yet, any idea when is it due introduction? I have been avoiding this and doing workarounds by pushing users to upload to a SharePoint document library through a separate window (not ideal to say the least) instead of the CDS, but I can tiptoe around this minefield only for so long.

Happy PowerApps-ing !

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Entity file field type but no control?

Hi @AmirBakht, there's is a file control but for model-driven apps and although I never tried yet should work for canvas apps as well. Check out this link: https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/public-preview-of-file-attribute-in-power-apps/

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi @EricRegnier . Thanks but I believe the one you are talking about actually works within the form. So basically you can only use it to add a file directly into an entity. Most cases one needs to have a logic not managed by a form but rather by the app or to upload a file for other purposes.

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Then I would suggest having a look at Blob Storage. Here’s a nice article to get that working:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/upload-files-from-powerapps-using-the-azure-blob-storage-...

Highlighted
Helper IV
Helper IV

Thank you @EricRegnier  but here as well, if I'm not mistaken, they are uploading images, not unrestricted file types. I'm looking for uploading any file from their device.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (6,173)