cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excel with external connection as data source

This might be a dumb question I know that in PowerApps we can use Excel as a static data source, and the table I am using has a connection to a SQL database, and I set the schedule refresh inside Excel workbook to be every hour. Does the PowerApps connection get updated when the tables in workbooks get updated? (I saved my excel workbook on onedrive not locally)

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Excel with external connection as data source

Static data from Excel is different than using Excel as connection.
If you Import From Excel, then the data is loaded into the app (Canvas), and will be static until it is removed.
If you setup Excel as a Connection, then it will treat it like any data source. It will periodically retrieve new data, if the Excel sheet is updated in OneDrive, or by invoking a Refresh() function.
When you open your app, it periodically refreshes automatically, or you invoke a Refresh, any changes will be shown in the app.
Think of it like a SQL view. When the SQL view is run, it retrieves and shows you data. If/when you run the view again, it shows you the data. If the underlying data has changed, then you'll see the changes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Come join us today! Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (3,587)