cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Export data from CDS to SQL database

I have performed an import from my SQL database into the CDS and can automatically load new data from the SQL database into the CDS with a data flow.

But how can I write the data I created back into my SQL database? 

I found this article in the documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/replicate-data-microsoft-azure-sql-database

But it says I need "mode-driven applications in Dynamics 365". So I'm not really sure what that means. 

Is every model-driven application a model-driven application in Dynamics 365? Or are model-driven applications in Dynamics 365 something special? 

And could I use the same database (with the same tables) to import data into CDS and export data from CDS? 

If this is not possible, what is the recommended way to export data from CDS to (Azure) SQL (or even make a bidirectional synchronisation)? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Re: Export data from CDS to SQL database

Hello @sandra1 

Dynamics 365 applications are Model-driven applications. They are special because Microsoft bakes a lot of behind the scenes features into the app, which is what you're paying for with a Dynamics license. For example, if you tried to buy a standalone Power Apps license and then build Dynamics 365 for Sales, you would find yourself having to do a lot of custom coding to get the same functions, like Outlook integration.

Any environment with a CDS database installed is the same, whether you add a Dynamics app or not. When you add a Dynamics app it doesn't do anything special, it just installs the solution with the application into the CDS database.

---
Please hit the "Accept as Solution" button if my post answered your question! If my post was helpful please consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Re: Export data from CDS to SQL database

Hello @sandra1 

Dynamics 365 applications are Model-driven applications. They are special because Microsoft bakes a lot of behind the scenes features into the app, which is what you're paying for with a Dynamics license. For example, if you tried to buy a standalone Power Apps license and then build Dynamics 365 for Sales, you would find yourself having to do a lot of custom coding to get the same functions, like Outlook integration.

Any environment with a CDS database installed is the same, whether you add a Dynamics app or not. When you add a Dynamics app it doesn't do anything special, it just installs the solution with the application into the CDS database.

---
Please hit the "Accept as Solution" button if my post answered your question! If my post was helpful please consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (5,578)