cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Filter using polymorphic fields - running into data limit issues

I appear to be running into a data row limit with a canvas power app using CDS as a result of a non-delegable query using a polymorphic lookup that I don't know how to avoid using.  I'd be very grateful for anyadvice how to solve this.

In my Power App, I first have a gallery (=Gallery 1) which lists all the Accounts in my D365 instance from which the user selects one.

I then want to display all the Contacts assigned to the selected Account in a second gallery.

The mapping of Contact to Account is maintained through this field on Contact:

- Display Name="Company Name"

- Name = parentcustomerid

- Data Type = Customer

With this data type I appear to be in polymorphic territory so I've been trying to use this filter:

Filter(Filter(Contacts, 'Contacts (Views)'.'Active Contacts',IsType('Company Name', [@Accounts] )), AsType('Company Name', [@Accounts] ).Account=Gallery1.Selected.Account)

The problem is that this lists the Contacts for some Accounts and not for others. 

I think I've proven it's a data row limit problem as I can display the Contacts for more Accounts by increasing the data row limit from 500 to 2000 in Power Apps settings.   I can't find it in the documentation but I can only assume that AsType is not delegable in a filter??

Increasing the data row limit can't be my final solution as I've 10's of thousands of Accounts and Contact.

Is there a solution for this?  It would be great if I could simply do the filter on the guid in the parentcustomerid field but I can't seem to find a way to do that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Filter using polymorphic fields - running into data limit issues

Microsoft support kindly has given me the answer here (thank you Microsoft):

The answer is simple in that I'm able to filter by comparing the record references and selected records themselves rather than resolving to particular fields, as in:

Filter(Contacts, 'Contacts (Views)'.'Active Contacts', 'Company Name' = Gallery1.Selected) 

Goodness knows why I didn't try this before but it fixed my problem and the delegation warning has now gone.  All fixed.  Thanks all.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi,

Looking through the documentation and your verbalism of your case, it does appear that the issue is related to the data row limit for non-delegable queries as specified in the article below; I haven't been able to find any other workarounds for this other then manually increasing the limits however Microsoft Customer Support might be better at locating a solution that could work for your specific situation.

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerapps-data-row-limit-for-non-delegable-queries/

If you would like to create a ticket with Microsoft Customer support here is a link on how to do so: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/get-help-support

Regards,

Alex

-------

Community Support Team _ Alex Rezac
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Alex. 

I've raised the question with Microsoft support and their investigations are ongoing.

Maybe a simpler way of posing my question is: "In a CDS with 10's of thousands of Accounts and 10's of thousands of Contacts but typically <100 Contacts assigned to each Account, how do you configure a gallery in a canvas Power App to reliably list the Contacts for a given Account?"

Thanks again, Jonathan

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Microsoft support kindly has given me the answer here (thank you Microsoft):

The answer is simple in that I'm able to filter by comparing the record references and selected records themselves rather than resolving to particular fields, as in:

Filter(Contacts, 'Contacts (Views)'.'Active Contacts', 'Company Name' = Gallery1.Selected) 

Goodness knows why I didn't try this before but it fixed my problem and the delegation warning has now gone.  All fixed.  Thanks all.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Users online (6,507)