cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pfurb
Level: Power Up

Get data from Excel - Unexpected Error

I'm using the PowerApps community edition.  From Data, Entities, I selected 'Get Data' then 'Excel'.  When I click the 'Browse' button, next to the 'File path or URL' prompt, the 'Unexpected Error' message is displayed.  I was able to do this before in a trial environment for the same organization.   Is this a bug or a limitation of the community edition?

Thanks.

Paul

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Get data from Excel - Unexpected Error

Hi @pfurb ,

Could you please share a bit more about your error message?

Do you want to import data into a CDS Entity from a Excel file using Power Query?

I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned. The screenshot as below:2.JPG

Please consider take a try to clear cache of your browser, and make sure your Network is in a good condition, then try it again, check if the issue is solved.

In addition, you could also consider take a try with the "Get data from Excel" ("Get Data"-> "Get data from Excel") option and "Open in Excel" functionality in CDS Entity to achieve same needs.

More details about importing data into CDS Entity using "Get data from Excel" option, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/common-data-service/data-platform-import-export

More details about importing data into CDS Entity using "Open in Excel" functionality within CDS Entity, please check the following article:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/cds-for-apps-excel-importexport/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/common-data-service/data-platform-excel-addin

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
pfurb

I tried the 'Get data from Excel' option as recommended and get the following error:

The import service is not available: Connection set initialization failed for project DMImport_2019_03_28T23_09_35_103Z. Error: Service principal couldn't be written

It looks like my community edition cannot access the files in my domain. I did not have this issue with the PowerApps trile, which recently expired.  Do you think I should delete then re-install the community edition environment?

Thanks.

Paul

WorTony_IDLive

I'm also using the Community edition and experiencing the same "Unexpected error" when I try to import any data into a CDS entity. It is not restricted to Excel as it also affects CSV file import too. The error occurs when I click the Browse button.

CDSImportError.png

agusriyadi
Level: Powered On

I got the same problem and the solution is to use Google Chrome to get data.

Normally Power app tool work best with Internet Explorer but this time Chrome saves me.

nmensah

Experiencing the same issue today in my community environment. I am  receveing unexpected error when I try to get data from Access, Excel, etc sources. See the attached image. Is this an issue within the community environment ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 56 members 4,899 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: