cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to configure unique permission at entity level without impacting other entities?

Hello,

I have an entity called "Products" that needs unique permission for that specific entity ONLY without impacting access level of other entities.

Should I create new security role and update access level of all entities including "Products" entity? Or I should update the existing role ( CDS User) by updating access level of only "Products" Entity? OR there is some other way?

Would you please clarify the best practice/approach here?

Thanks and Regards,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Re: How to configure unique permission at entity level without impacting other entities?

Hi @dave8,

I usually leave the out-of-the-box (OOB) roles intact and create custom roles based on them. So I create a custom role by copying an OOB role and then make the necessary changes. Also inline with this tip: https://crmtipoftheday.com/1297/base-your-base-role-on-the-cds-user-role/

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Re: How to configure unique permission at entity level without impacting other entities?

Besides what I said in the tip of the day, I would look at the scope of this requirement--does it apply the same way to all users or is it different for different types of users? For example, do you have three groups that need three different levels of permissions for products? 

Put the minimum permission for product in the base role that all users get, then create additional roles for each other persona with different level of product access.

Put as much as you can in the base role, then the other roles should only contain the delta (what is different).

Remember that CDS roles are cumulative, so if you give them the base role and another role with higher permissions for products, then they get the combination of the two.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @dave8,

I usually leave the out-of-the-box (OOB) roles intact and create custom roles based on them. So I create a custom role by copying an OOB role and then make the necessary changes. Also inline with this tip: https://crmtipoftheday.com/1297/base-your-base-role-on-the-cds-user-role/

Hope this helps!

Highlighted

Besides what I said in the tip of the day, I would look at the scope of this requirement--does it apply the same way to all users or is it different for different types of users? For example, do you have three groups that need three different levels of permissions for products? 

Put the minimum permission for product in the base role that all users get, then create additional roles for each other persona with different level of product access.

Put as much as you can in the base role, then the other roles should only contain the delta (what is different).

Remember that CDS roles are cumulative, so if you give them the base role and another role with higher permissions for products, then they get the combination of the two.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (7,579)