cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

How to create a new entity from data inside an unmanaged solution?

Within my development environment, I can create a new entity from scratch using a well formated CSV file. This results in an entity with all its fields inferred from the CSV headers and data. The downside is its creation inside the Common Data Services Default Solution. (Data > Entities > Get Data)

How can I achieve the same inside an unmanaged solution without the need to define the entity model beforehand? In other words, how can I create an entity from data and choose its target solution or copy/move it afterward to another unmanaged solution?

Please note that I want to have the prefix of the dedicated unmanaged solution, so simply adding the entity to the solution is not an option for me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: How to create a new entity from data inside an unmanaged solution?

Thanks for clarifying. You can update the default publisher and CDS prefixes to match the prefix of your custom solution. This is something I always do when I prevision a new environment. To change the prefix, navigate the Default solution in Maker portal, then on the top menu click on "Settings" and then "Edit Publisher" on the right pane. Do the same for the "Common Data Services Default Solution" solution. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @BenAffleck,

Can you simply achieve by generating the entity model with the way you been doing it, then in the Maker Portal (https://make.powerapps.com/) navigate to Solutions, create a new one (it will always be unmanaged since it's the source environment) and then add the your entity (include metadata and all sub-components) to that solution. The entity will be part of that solution as if you created it from there.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Good morning @EricRegnier,

thanks for your response. Not sure if I understood you correctly. 

As pointed out in my question, I want the entity to have the prefix of the target solution/publisher and not of the default solution/publisher

Furthermore, I want to create the entity straight from data, and not model it before

By simply adding the entity to a solution after it has been created from data, I end up with the entity having the prefix of the default solution/publisher. Adding it to the target solution as you suggest, doesn't change its prefix (of course not).

Do I miss something? Am I wrong?

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Thanks for clarifying. You can update the default publisher and CDS prefixes to match the prefix of your custom solution. This is something I always do when I prevision a new environment. To change the prefix, navigate the Default solution in Maker portal, then on the top menu click on "Settings" and then "Edit Publisher" on the right pane. Do the same for the "Common Data Services Default Solution" solution. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @EricRegnier. This seems like a valid workaround. 

Still, I think it should be possible to choose the target solution when creating a new entity from data. It would be nice to have it as an option on that dialog. 

Anyway, your approach seems good to go and I will consider this one and accept it as a solution. 

Thanks for looking into this!

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Glad it helped! I agree it would be convenient when we create an entity. You can post that idea to: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Cheers

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Users online (6,769)