cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
AGS94
Level 8

Issues Moving Excel Data Source to CDS (2 of 2)

I am going to post two messages both dealing with moving a data source from Excel to CDS in hopes that it will make responding to each easier.

 

I created an app that was using an Excel data source saved on OneDrive. The app was working as expected, but I am running into some issues getting things to work with CDS as the data source. 

 

Background:

  1. As I am trialing PA Portals, I had to create a new enviroment, so all of the following was done in the new environment.
  2. Created the various entities and fields within CDS to match the names I used in the Excel tables and columns, respectively.
  3. Exported/imported my app package
  4. Deleted all Excel-related datasources and added in the CDS datasources
  5. Cleaned up various errors

 

The issue I am having is ComboBoxes and it appears to be caused by the prefix CDS adds to the field name.  For example, following is what I have in the app using Excel as the DS. Again, everyting in this app is fine.

one.png

 

 

Following is the same control in the app using the CDS data source:

two.png

 

In this case, there is no information showing in the ComboBox. When I try to change the the second "Matching Field" in the "Depends On" option to Family (or in this case cr4a4_family), it will allow me to save my changes, but when I re-open it keeps reverting back to Create On.

 

In any case, the ComboBoxes are being very finicky and acting strange due to my lack of experience with CDS. 

 

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AGS94
Level 8

Re: Issues Moving Excel Data Source to CDS (2 of 2)

Turns out it was a glitch in PA. I got a recommendation from the General Forum to simply re-type the formula and that worked.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-siky-msft
Level 10

Re: Issues Moving Excel Data Source to CDS (2 of 2)

Hi @AGS94 ,

 

Do you want the cascading drop-down?

Do you mean the Matching field always selects 'Create On' when you re-open the app?

 

The Depends on property actually is to filter the Items according to selection of parent combo box.

Could try to apply filter function to Items proprty as below instead of selecting values on Depends on property.

Annotation 2019-10-11 120113.png

 

Best regards,

Sik

AGS94
Level 8

Re: Issues Moving Excel Data Source to CDS (2 of 2)

Apologies for the lengthy response. Just not sure what I am up against and want to make sure I provide all necessary information.

 

Do you want the cascading drop-down?

This particualr ComboBox should not be relying on any other element in the app to populate its list.

 

That said, though it has been a while since I built this part of the app, I go back to the fact that all was working fine when Excel was the data source. No idea why this strange behavior when all that was changed was the data source. I have not changed any formula structures, relationships, etc. The only thing I have had to change were some of the reference names due to how CDS names columns (Example: "Product" in Excel became "cr4a4_product" in CDS, etc.). 

 

Do you mean the Matching field always selects 'Create On' when you re-open the app?

Actually it changes back after I save the settings and immediatley click on "Depends On" to verify it saved my changes (it does not).

 

I am including a more detailed screenshot. Both error "tips" refer to CmbItmA.SearchItems which I assume to mean the SearchFields property? I have changed the IsSearchable property to false and cleared the SearchFields property and am still getting the errors.

Annotation 2019-10-11 080057.png

 

In case it is of any use, I am also including the following formula (which is in the CmbItmA.Items property). Note it is NOT showing any errors within this formula (no red lines).

Sort(
  Filter(
        CollPtAPrd, 
        Value(GrpTot)=Max(CollPtAPrd,GrpTot),
        !IsBlank(First(Split(cr4a4_product, ", ")).Result)
  )
  ,cr4a4_product
)

It seems it may not be a specific error per se, but perhaps that CDS handles things differently and I simlpy don't understand what is happening. Up to this point I have been able to find the necessary resources to work through all previous issues but there are far fewer resources available to help troubleshoot CDS.

AGS94
Level 8

Re: Issues Moving Excel Data Source to CDS (2 of 2)

Turns out it was a glitch in PA. I got a recommendation from the General Forum to simply re-type the formula and that worked.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Users Online
Currently online: 176 members 5,545 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: