cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Brentless
Level 8

Item Level Permissions for CDS Entity Items?

I am just learning about CDS and how it works.  Specifically I am looking for if I can set permissions on an "item" level within the entity.    I'd asked the question at Ignite and was told there is a way to do this, but as I start exploring, i'm not really finding it.

For example, if a user submits a request, then only the user, and a few other groups - dynamically determined based on other picklist fields, would have access to view this particular item.  Otherwise it seems I have to use logic within the PowerApp itself to determine if a user should be able to see the items.  Ideally if I could do it at the data level, this simplifies what I have to do at the PowerApp level.

I equivalate this to item level permissions of an list item in a SharePoint List.

3 REPLIES 3
Kevin23
Level: Powered On

Re: Item Level Permissions for CDS Entity Items?

Hey Brentless, 

I completely understand where you are coming from asking this question, but there is not really the same equivilant in CDS as there is in a SPList, item level permissions. But, you can achieve something quite similar using Security Roles  and Business Units. This is actually configuring Dynamics 365 functionality, rather than pure CDS-A, but its possible.

This topic contains the best run down for what you need to understand. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/customer-engagement/admin/security-roles-privileges, this page has a non-microsoft written version of the same topic, which is generally easier to understand! https://crmbook.powerobjects.com/system-administration/business-administration/planning-security/ and https://crmbook.powerobjects.com/system-administration/business-administration/security-roles/

At a high level, you will have a custom security role that has Owner level permissions (a small peice of pie) on Create/Read/Write. This means that only the person who created the record can edit/read the record. If you need to have it more open than that (say a team or larger group), then you will change it to Business Unit (half a pie). If you want to change permissions based on different values that are stored/selected in the record itself, this becomes a lot harder and I'd not recommend doing it this way (it can be done but would likely require custom code or a maybe a complex Flow).

Have a read through those pages and see what you can work out. Don't try and mimic or compare the permissions of a SharePoint List and CDS-A/D365, they are fundamentally different. 

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @Brentless,

Do you want to set a permission on an "item" level within a CDS Entity?

If you want to set a permission on an "item" level within a CDS Entity, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

I agree with @Kevin23's thought almost, the level permissions between SP list and CDS entity are fundamentally different.

If you want to assign proper permission to other users (in your Org) from CDS Entity, you must create a security role firstly (which has appropriate permission to access your CDS Entity), then assign the security role to other users. After that the other users would have permission to access your CDS Entity.

More details about managing entity permission, please check the following article:

Manage CDS Entity permission

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
BrianSlalomMS
Level: Powered On

Thanks for the links to the crmbook site @Kevin23. I wish I had found that before I slogged through the MS documentation and did a lot of experimenting to figure out how it works and how to design a usable model.

BTW, Its CDS for Apps, not CDS-A. CDS-A is the old name for CDS for Analytics, now called Power BI DataFlows.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

SecondImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call

Next Wednesday, August 21st at 8am PDT

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Top Community Contributors for July 2019

Let's thank our top community contributors

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

FifthImage

Dynamics 365 and Power Platform April 2019 Release notes

Features releasing from April 2019 through September 2019!

SixthImage

Power Summit Australia 2019

August 20-23rd 2019

Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 4,395 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: