cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AccuFloDev
Level: Powered On

LookUp function returns null relationship columns when using Entity GUID as Condition (CDS for Apps)

Hello again PowerApps Community,

I am in the process of Migrating an app from the old CDS 1.0 to the new CDS-for-apps, aka CDS 2.0 (The Environment Instance Version is 9.1.0.267). While re-connecting some old forms in the app, I've run into an issue with the LookUp function in PowerApps:   It does not appear to load the relationship columns when using the Entity's unique GUID as a condition.

For example, I have a table of Jobs which contain a relationship column to a Customer.
I want to query a single record by using the unique GUID for that record.  I can do this the LookUp, or Filter functions:

//Returns Entity but all Relationship columns are Blank.
LookUp('Jobs',  jobid = "[GUID STRING]") 

//These methods return the same Entity with proper relationship column data.
First(Filter('Jobs', jobid = "[GUID STRING]") 
First(Collect('Jobs', jobid = "[GUID STRING]")

Is anyone else able to confirm this behaviour on their end?  
This appears to be a bug unless I missed an important detail about the LookUp function...

4 REPLIES 4

Re: LookUp function returns null relationship columns when using Entity GUID as Condition (CDS for A

Just checking where are you getting your guid from and can you see the guid in the data?

Also do you have any experimental controls on like the GUID types control.

AccuFloDev

Re: LookUp function returns null relationship columns when using Entity GUID as Condition (CDS for A

@KeithWhatling wrote:

Just checking where are you getting your guid from and can you see the guid in the data?

I'm getting the GUID from Expanding the lookup column (e.g.  ThisItem.LookUpColumn.LookupIdColumn )
This is why it's causing issues because the lookup column is often NULL, especially if there's multiple lookups columns on an entity.   

Also do you have any experimental controls on like the GUID types control.

The GUID Data types option on but is off.  However I do have the experimental CDS for Apps turned on (for attachments to entities).

I'm still having issues with this, even using the First-Filter method:  One entity has 6 lookups and only 2 columns are being populated with data using either LookUp or Filter. 

AccuFloDev

Re: LookUp function returns null relationship columns when using Entity GUID as Condition

Update - I'm noticing similar issues using galleries.

If I try to gather an entity using Collect, one or more lookup columns often (But not always?) comes back empty. When I compare the data to what is exported into excel, there clearly should be data in the lookup column.

This issue continues through multiple refresh attempts. If however I connect a Gallery directly to the data source, it grabs all columns just fine. This however is not a best practice, especially if I'm going to have to make this app offline-capable in the future.

Any updates from Microsoft on this?

KelvinBox

Re: LookUp function returns null relationship columns when using Entity GUID as Condition

@AccuFloDev wrote:

Update - I'm noticing similar issues using galleries.

If I try to gather an entity using Collect, one or more lookup columns often (But not always?) comes back empty. When I compare the data to what is exported into excel, there clearly should be data in the lookup column.

This issue continues through multiple refresh attempts. If however I connect a Gallery directly to the data source, it grabs all columns just fine. This however is not a best practice, especially if I'm going to have to make this app offline-capable in the future.

Any updates from Microsoft on this?

According to MS, the Collect and ClearCollect issue is known behaviour for CDS connector v2 where it won't always get the lookup fields.  Smiley Frustrated

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Users Online
Currently online: 102 members 5,316 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: