cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
s1hl3_ukuvuma
Level: Powered On

Microsoft SQL Arithmetic overflow error

Hi @RandyHayes 

When I save a record  with a number text input that has 6 digits or more I get an error message:

Microsoft SQL Arithmetic overflow error converting numeric to data type.

The Char on SQL is 50. so I have not exceeded the character limit. 

any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

Re: Microsoft SQL Arithmetic overflow error

@s1hl3_ukuvuma 

Can you provide the formula that is causing the error, or some screenshots to see what is going on?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
s1hl3_ukuvuma

@RandyHayes  see attached

Super User
Super User

@s1hl3_ukuvuma 

Your problem is that you are trying to convert a text value into a value to then have it convert back to a character value for the field.

Remove the Value function from around the TotalCapexAmount_value.Text and try it again. There is no need (from what I see) to do that conversion. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
s1hl3_ukuvuma

@RandyHayes  The conversion is needed as when i remove the value conversion, it says the value not a text is expected.

remember that it works, and only returns the error when I exceeed 5 digits but it accepts anything less.

Super User
Super User

@s1hl3_ukuvuma 

So then your TotalCapexAmount_value is defined as numeric and not text...that's fine.  How is that field defined exactly in the DB?  

The Value function does have a maximum and then it starts to round up and down, but from a character perspective, that is about 16 characters - so, that's not where the problem is coming from.

It sounds like you need to increase the precision of the data-type in SQL. In SQL, numeric (and decimal) data types have a definable precision (total number of digits, including decimal places) and scale (number of decimal places) - see this

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,537)