cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yahya
Level 10

Mouse-clicking the Magnetic in look up fields does not work after Wave 2 update - Model-Driven

Hello,

For my Model-Driven apps upgraded by the Wave 2, mouse-clicking the magnetic in look up fields does not work, it should open the default view. Selecting the magnetic and hitting the enter key on the keyboard works. I tried this on multiple browsers and its all the same, so this should be a bug; please fix.

18 REPLIES 18
v-siky-msft
Level 10

Re: Mouse-clicking the Magnetic in look up fields does not work after Wave 2 update - Model-Driven

Hi @Yahya ,

Can you share more App details ? Such as: Server version, Client version. They can be found from setting(Gear button) - About in Model-driven Apps. 

Have you ever tried any other Model-driven Apps? which browsers did you use?

Annotation 2019-09-16 102747.png

In my test, the Lookup value can be entered normally by mouse-clicking, using Chrome browser, and the version is shown in above screenshot. So please confirm if your App's version is the sam with mine.

Also I suggest to create a new Model-driven app to check if there is the same issues.

Best regards,

Sik

Yahya
Level 10

Re: Mouse-clicking the Magnetic in look up fields does not work after Wave 2 update - Model-Driven

@v-siky-msft ,

I confirm that this is the case for all model-driven apps - even those created recently (today) - in all browsers and even the dynamics 365 app for iOS as well.

Here is the session info in SharedScreenshot1

I add SharedScreen2 covering the mouse-clicking of a look up field

And add SharedScreen3 covering the keyboard selecting of a look up field

v-siky-msft
Level 10

Hi @Yahya ,

After updating to 2019 release wave 2, your issue can be reproduced.However this is not a bug, it is the usability enhancements to lookups in Unified Interface.

Whenever you click on either the magnifying glass or the text box you’re presented with the same list of most recently used records.  To browse a lookup, simply press Enter once the list is there.

For more information, you can refer to this bolg: Preview for usability enhancements to lookups in Unified Interface

if you want to know more about New Feature in 2019 release wave 2 update, please refer to Usability enhancements to lookups in Unified Interface.

Best regards,

Sik

Yahya
Level 10

Hello @v-siky-msft , Appreciate the hardwork on Wave 2 which gives lot of attention to model-driven, but, enhancing the usability from one side should not lead to reducing functionality from another side.

Why I shoud have 2 ways to access the most recent using the mouse? 1 way is enough and keep the other way to open the default view.

Why I am forced to use keyboard to access a view?

Back in time I used to be super producetive using mouse only - I used to work for like 15 minutes session without a single keyboard stroke. Now not! This is unfair. It is unfair that a feature exists for long is removed to "enhance usabiloty", this is reducing usability trust me.

And in any case, there is another bug that the most recent items suggestsions ignore the filter restrictions of the look up. For instance, If I have an Account Entity that contains suppliers and customers, and a look up field for customer, I would see suppliers suggested while the real view is restricted for Customer only.

I hope both will be fixed.

v-siky-msft
Level 10

Hi @Yahya ,

Sorry for the bad experience with usability enhancements to lookup in Model-driven app. 

These improvements have largely come from direct feedback we’ve received. But as you said, having to work with keyboard may really reduce productivity.

As for why the items other than the filter restrictions of Lookup is displayed in recent items view, that is because the recent items view just display the recently used items, it means you may have selected the items what is other than the filter restrictions recently.

If you want to ba back to previous feature, or have some suggestion to this update, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Sik

Yahya
Level 10

Hello @v-siky-msft 

And now you admit the problem in the update, that will make us less productive, the remedy is not to post an idea in the +27k forum ideas, it will be lost. The right thing to do is that those who has broken this should fix it. This is not a new concept that needs to be added so i post an idea, it is a feature that has been taken off the model-driven making it less useful hence again, team in development should also admit their mistake hence fix it. 

Yahya
Level 10

adding: there is another bug that the most recent items suggestsions ignore the filter restrictions of the look up. For instance, If I have an Account Entity that contains suppliers and customers, and a look up field for customer, I would see suppliers suggested while the real view is restricted for Customer only.

NeilBenson
Level: Powered On

Hi Sik, my testers asked me to raise a support request for this undesirable change in behaviour too (SR#119092721000264). Before Wave 2, our users could use lookup fields using their mouse. With Wave 2 they have to use their mouse and keyboard. Our users have reported that this change does not improve usability, and the requirement to use the keyboard is not discoverable or intuitive.

We've also had to turn off the 'High density' setting in form headers where users updated fields. Fields in 'High density' headers require a lot more clicks to update, so we're reverting the Wave 2 "enhancements".

Neil Benson
Microsoft MVP
Scrum for Dynamics 365: https://scrum365.customery.com
NeilBenson
Level: Powered On

I have submitted an idea to reverse the 2019 release wave 2 changes to lookup field behaviour:
https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Revert-the-quot-enhancements-quot-to-lookups-in-...

Neil Benson
Microsoft MVP
Scrum for Dynamics 365: https://scrum365.customery.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Users Online
Currently online: 189 members 5,298 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: