cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamieD76
Level: Powered On

Option Set not Displaying on DropDown Box

Hi All,

I have created an Entity with a simple Option Set (Meeting_type) on the CDS, when I try to create a form in a Canvas App the dropdown list has no options.   Meeting Type also has Text field connected named "Meeting_Type Value" which I dont fully understand. 

Can anyone help me with this problem, I just want the 3 Options that I created in the Option Set to appear on my form.

Kind Regards

Jamie

Entity OptionSet.jpgOptionSetOnCanvas.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Option Set not Displaying on DropDown Box

Hi @JamieD76,

Just an update -- The response from Filip Karadzic (A SENIOR PROGRAM MANAGER) as below:

Drop downs don’t support Option Set data types from CDS.  We are currently working on enabling the Combo box to handle Option Sets, and full support should be coming out soon.

Currently, the Option Set type column are not supported within Drop downs, the product team is working on enabling the Combo Box to handle Option Set type column.

You could also consider take a try with the alternative solution I provided above, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AgostinoDD

I've the same issue. Just created a post under general discussion:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dropdown-menu-not-showing-items/m-p/180782#M5...

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @JamieD76,

I have made a test, and the issue is confirmed on my side. When I generate an app based on a CDS entity, the following error would show up:

Invalid argument type (Text). Expecting a Table value instead.

7.JPG

It seems that PowerApps does not recognize the data source name (on my side, it is TaskLists) as a data source table, instead, recognize it as a Text value.

I would post this issue to my product team, if the issue is solved, I would reply here.

Currently, as an alternative solution, please modify the formula within the AllowedValues property of the Data card in the Edit form to following:

DataSourceInfo([@TaskLists], DataSourceInfo.AllowedValues, "_crd1f_meeting_type_label")

On your side, you should type following:

DataSourceInfo([@YourCDSEntity], DataSourceInfo.AllowedValues, "_cr615_meeting_type_label")

Note: YourCDSEntity represents your CDS Entity name, the _cr615_meeting_type_label represents the column in your CDS entity.

After that, the Meeting_Type Dropdown box works well as below:Test1.gif

Best regards,

Kris

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
JamieD76

Hi Kris,

Many Thanks for taking the time to re-create my problem, I will have a go at setting up my drop down menu's when i return home this evening.

I will feed back to you once this is done.

Thanks Again

Jamie

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @JamieD76,

Just an update -- The response from Filip Karadzic (A SENIOR PROGRAM MANAGER) as below:

Drop downs don’t support Option Set data types from CDS.  We are currently working on enabling the Combo box to handle Option Sets, and full support should be coming out soon.

Currently, the Option Set type column are not supported within Drop downs, the product team is working on enabling the Combo Box to handle Option Set type column.

You could also consider take a try with the alternative solution I provided above, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Kris

View solution in original post

Highlighted
AbeSaldana

I understand that Optionsets are not working on Forms and we need to use them in different ways, the easiest way to use them could be the Forms and just use all the functionality, but this one is not working, I have created collections for the optionsets and then use them with the Combobox control. 

I have a blog post that explains how to use them and how to save them using Patch functions. Here is the blog post and the video you can follow how I created my application

Using the Dynamics 365 Connector

https://abesaldana.com/canvas-using-optionsets-and-lookup-fields/ 

Using the CDS Connector

https://abesaldana.com/powerapps-canvas-using-lookups-with-cds/

Hope this helps 

abe

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi all,

The Option Sets should work with Dropdown for now.

Please take a check and let me know if there are any further issues on this.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
Aphelion

I figured out my issue below - simply wasn't using the Choices formula.   I will leave post below in case others have same issue.

"I am finding that the DropDown for Option Sets doesn't display just a list of the option set values in the Option Set if the DropDown is not in a form. Instead the DropDown displays all values of the option set used in the items from the current entity which may be calling on the option set.  For instance, rather than displaying the 5 options I have in the option set, I get a list of all the values of the option set for all my accounts (ie hundreds of duplicates, not just 5 items to choose from).  I'd like to use a drop down to filter a gallery based on the option set, but given the above that's not feasible. Is there a way to do this?"  YES - Use  'Choices(Option Set)'

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Users Online
Currently online: 180 members 5,217 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: