cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AhmadAnwar
Level: Powered On

Plugin written in F#

I googled the documentation, forums and still no support to F# or C# 8.0 (.NET Core).
When it comes to domain modelling with Sum types (aka Option types) and pattern patching, F# is much powerful than C#.
There are new exciting features in C# 8.0 but unfortunately C# 8.0 can only be written in .NET Core environment, which isn't supported with CDS. 

Does anyone know how to use F# in CDS? My goal is write and register a plugin written in F#.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Plugin written in F#

I would think it is possible to write a plugin in F#. The main requirement is that you use .Net Framework 4.6.2, which I think is supported with F#. The main step that I think you'll need is to use ILMerge to merge in the FSharp.Core.dll assembly

I can see a couple of potential blockers:

1. The overall assembly cannot exceed 16 MB. I doubt that the FSharp.Core.dll assembly is that big
  2. The FSharp.Core.dll assembly may be something that contravenes the code access security applied by the sandbox process. The most likely to cause problems would be reflection

This article describes getting an F# plugin to work for CRM 2013, and the plugin infrastructure hasn't changed substantially since then.

There's no news on .Net Core support. To get this would need more changes from Microsoft in the overall plugin infrastructure

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Plugin written in F#

I would think it is possible to write a plugin in F#. The main requirement is that you use .Net Framework 4.6.2, which I think is supported with F#. The main step that I think you'll need is to use ILMerge to merge in the FSharp.Core.dll assembly

I can see a couple of potential blockers:

1. The overall assembly cannot exceed 16 MB. I doubt that the FSharp.Core.dll assembly is that big
  2. The FSharp.Core.dll assembly may be something that contravenes the code access security applied by the sandbox process. The most likely to cause problems would be reflection

This article describes getting an F# plugin to work for CRM 2013, and the plugin infrastructure hasn't changed substantially since then.

There's no news on .Net Core support. To get this would need more changes from Microsoft in the overall plugin infrastructure

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Users Online
Currently online: 326 members 5,926 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: