cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AccuFloDev
Level: Powered On

PowerApps - Cannot Import Data into CDS Entities!

Over the past 2 days I've been involved in a project to migrate an old CDS app into the newer CDS-for-Apps system but I am being frustrated at every turn by "Unknown Errors" and other fun issues.

After manually re-creating our database (since import isn't working), I've attempted to get our data back into the new system and have been stopped at nearly every attempt.  

Below is a list of what I have been attempting to add data into a simple entity with 3 numerical columns and how it was not successful:

• Manually Create Entity then Import from Excel --> This sometimes works, but today when I try to import data into a newly created entity, I can only map to the Primary Name column.  None of the other columns are selectable from the menu even though a warning shows that they are required! (See attached file Error1.png)

• Import from PowerQuery --> I can get as far as the page to choose refresh settings.  Once I click "Create" I get unknown error (See attached file Error2.png).   The error is the same regardless of the method I choose (OData, SharePoint, Excel File)
  • Open in Excel -->  The add-in for Excel to manipulate data in a spreadsheet has not worked consistently since the upgrade to the new CDS Service.  It sometimes works.  Most times it hangs on 'Loading MetaData' then errors out after a few minutes.
  • When trying to refresh a failed import job, I get the following error: "Load to Common Data Service failed. Details: DataPartition accuflo for CDS is not valid, Valid DataPartitions are org[Number Removed]. . (Job ID: a7d187e0-5d6a-48d3-a7db-44ca2e0e5174)"

At this point I've been creating a workaround by loading the Spreadsheet into powerapps and automating the import through a patch loop.   Obviously this is less than efficient...is there any update from Microsoft on what is going on here?  How long until we have working tools?

Edit: I added in the Excel Add-in Error to the attached files.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: PowerApps - Cannot Import Data into CDS Entities!

Hi, There is another way of doing it through dynamics.

It’s more reliable, but it’s a little tricky if you haven’t done it before.

Create a view for your data before to start! https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/dynamicscrm-2016/administering-dynamics-365/dn509...

1. Go to solution explorer
  2. Remove everything after dynamics.com in the url and hit enter
  3. Go to Settings > Data managementDynamics.png
  4. Imports
  5. Choose EXCEL TEMPLATES> Create excel template
  6. Select template to create: Excel template (defaults to this)
    1. Select Data:
    2. Filter by entity: 
  7. Used saved view: Choose a view of the entity—do you know how to make views?: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/dynamicscrm-2016/administering-dynamics-365/dn509... (I can show you on a call if you’re interested.)
  8. Click download file
  9. Open the downloaded .xlsx file
  10. Populate the data into appropriate columns into the spreadsheet
  11. Save and close the spreadsheet
  12. Go back to the dynamics imports page and click IMPORT DATA
  13. Choose the spreadsheet
  14. Click next
  15. Choose whether or not to allow duplicates and select owner
  16. Click submit
2 REPLIES 2

Hi, There is another way of doing it through dynamics.

It’s more reliable, but it’s a little tricky if you haven’t done it before.

Create a view for your data before to start! https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/dynamicscrm-2016/administering-dynamics-365/dn509...

1. Go to solution explorer
  2. Remove everything after dynamics.com in the url and hit enter
  3. Go to Settings > Data managementDynamics.png
  4. Imports
  5. Choose EXCEL TEMPLATES> Create excel template
  6. Select template to create: Excel template (defaults to this)
    1. Select Data:
    2. Filter by entity: 
  7. Used saved view: Choose a view of the entity—do you know how to make views?: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/dynamicscrm-2016/administering-dynamics-365/dn509... (I can show you on a call if you’re interested.)
  8. Click download file
  9. Open the downloaded .xlsx file
  10. Populate the data into appropriate columns into the spreadsheet
  11. Save and close the spreadsheet
  12. Go back to the dynamics imports page and click IMPORT DATA
  13. Choose the spreadsheet
  14. Click next
  15. Choose whether or not to allow duplicates and select owner
  16. Click submit
Highlighted
AccuFloDev
Level: Powered On

Hey Keith, It's funny you sent this to me as I had just found the same solution while poking around in the system yesterday. I can confirm that the Dynamics method works pretty reliably, but it was not specified as a solution anywhere I checked! Either way, the PowerQuery import is pretty powerful and I would love to utilize it once it's working again. Since your workaround is the only method that I have found to be consistent and reliable, and you've done great work outlining the steps involved I'm going to mark it as a solution for anyone else who may find this thread.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Users Online
Currently online: 227 members 4,832 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: