cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regarding field missing when using CDS Connector on Activities

I'm trying to create an App that looks up Activities, simmply filtering on and showing them in a gallery. One of the fields I want to display is Regarding(regardingobjectid) but that doen't seem to be avaialble on using the CDS connector (as we are encouraged to use). If I use the Dynamics 365, the field is available. 

Is it just not avvailable using the CDS connector or I'm just missing it?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Regarding field missing when using CDS Connector on Activities

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please share more details about your entity and your field?

What type of your field?Is it one number type in your entity?

Could you please share the screenshot of your entity's structure?

Could you please try with another environment to test it again?

Best Regards.

Yumia

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to create a Canvas app manage Dynamics 365 Activities. When I use the CDS connector to connect to the Activities entity, some fields are missing, specifically the Regarding field. Below are screenshots of a partial list of fields I can select when trying to configure the Browse Gallery. The first screeshot shows the list using the CDS connector and the second is using the Dynamics 365 connector. I get the Regarding and other fields using the Dynamics 365 but not with the CDS connector. 

I'm wondering if this is by design or I'm missing something? 

CDS Connector.pngDynamics 365 Connector.png

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem. Any solution?

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

As I understand it (fumbling my way through my first CDS based Apps) the Regarding field is 'polymorphic' i.e. it can relate to multiple different entities - think of a field where you may want to store 'someone' you contacted and that 'someone' could be a person (from a person entity) or a company (from a company entity) - a regarding field will let you put in either. Coming from a SQL background this is a horrible idea, but it is the way CDS does it.

As far as I can tell in CDS, with the example above, when you connect to PowerApps via the CDS connector, instead of 'Regarding' you will see a Person field and a Company field (only one of which can be populated for a given record).

Also be aware that the Regarding field returns a GUID which is useless with the CDS connector as GUID fields are not delegable in CDS (unlike the outgoing Dynamics connector). Hopefully your records have some other unique identifier (indvidual or compound) as all good data models should have but CDS does not seem to enforce/encourage, so you can still filter for the records you need.

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

@PaulD1  Thank you very much for answer.

Indeed the problem was coming from the CDS connector.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (8,435)