cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Renaming column headers in an entity view

Hi Power Apps community

I am wondering if there is any way to rename the column headers of an entity view.

For instance, I have created a view that combines fields from both it's entity and also lookup fields. The lookup fields have their entity shown in parentheses. I would like to rename these for a better user experience (i.e. users don't need to see the lookup entity name). 

This is my view. I would like to rename 'Full Name (ContactLU)' to 'Full Name' and similar with 'MemberType...'

Capture.JPG

I'm hoping that I have just missed an obvious setting as this should be a simple thing. Any suggestions?

@jlindstrom hoping that this might be a simple one for you?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Renaming column headers in an entity view

Hi @MattB_EC,

Unfortunately it is not yet supported to set custom column labels per view and remove the related entity enclosed in parentheses. The only way is what @Drrickryp mentioned.

It’s a current limitation and would be a useful feature to have, suggest to submit the idea at https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Cheers

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

One workaround is to create a calculated fields which just references the value in the lookup entity, and use this column in the view. Calculated fields are calculated when data is retrieved, and incur no additional storage, so there's not any noticeable overhead with this

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @MattB_EC 

rename entity display names.pngrename entity display names2.png

When you select the entity and examine the fields, you can click on the field and change the display name in the upper right side of the screen.  Display names are easily changed but the underlying entity field name cannot be changed once the entity is created.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Drrickryp 

Thanks for your reply and suggested solution.

Your suggestion works for changing the display name of the field. In my case I want to change the display name of a lookup field in a view that shows both the field display name and also it's entity.

So in the below screenshot, I would like 'MemberType (MembershipTypeLU)' to display just as 'Membership Type' - without it's entity in parentheses.

From your solution I could change the 'MemberType' display name but in the view it would still show it's entity in the parentheses.

capture redac.jpg

Thanks again

Matt

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @MattB_EC,

Unfortunately it is not yet supported to set custom column labels per view and remove the related entity enclosed in parentheses. The only way is what @Drrickryp mentioned.

It’s a current limitation and would be a useful feature to have, suggest to submit the idea at https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Cheers

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for clarifying @EricRegnier. That's what I thought might have been the answer, but I wasn't sure if I was missing a setting or something.

Thanks again and thanks to @Drrickryp for offering a partial workaround.

Others have beaten me to the idea and looks to be Under Review/Planned - which is great.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/Custom-Lables-on-Views-and-Reports/idi-p/216048

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/Allow-for-configuration-of-column-headers-in-vi...

Highlighted
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

One workaround is to create a calculated fields which just references the value in the lookup entity, and use this column in the view. Calculated fields are calculated when data is retrieved, and incur no additional storage, so there's not any noticeable overhead with this

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Great suggestion @DavidJennaway 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Brilliant, works nicely. Thanks @DavidJennaway 

I like that the 'dot' notation works in the calculated field i.e. contact.fullname

Capture.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (6,646)