cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
illusion615
Level: Power Up

Returned CDS data with empty lookup fields if using Filter/Lookup

I have 3 entities in CDS to store the many-to-many relationship between students and test campaign.

I import the data source into PowerApps as 'GMT Students', 'GMT Campaigns' and 'GMT Tests'

'GMT Tests' is the intersection table to record this many-to-many relationship, data structure as below

image.png

And I use below script to load the student, test campaign and the registration data into variables.

Set(CurrentStudent,LookUp('GMT Students',Email=Trim(txtEmail.Text)));
Set(CurrentTest,LookUp('GMT Tests','GMT Student'.'GMT Students' = CurrentStudent.'GMT Students'));
Set(CurrentCampaign,LookUp('GMT Campaigns','GMT Campaign'=CurrentTest.'GMT Campaign'.'GMT Campaign'));

The CurrentStudent was loaded as expect, but CurrentTest has some strange result which has no GMT Student and GMT Campaign included.

image.png

But it does exist when I look into the entity data

image.png

Actually it does work days before and I really don't know where is wrong.

Thanks for any help.

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Returned CDS data with empty lookup fields if using Filter/Lookup

Hi @illusion615,

Have you tried to restore your app to a previous version to have a test? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/restore-an-app

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, I had the same issue, I was told it is by design, but by all accounts they are looking to resolve the display issue.

I could not get it to work but I was told that you can still use the data in the field to do relational lookups but I could not get it to work.

Wells
Level: Powered On

I think it can't be simply closed by "by design"Smiley Very Happy

At least, there should be a "best practice" suggested from product team on how to get data from join table.

Now I'm stucked here...anyone from support/PG team can help?

LinnZawWin
Level: Powered On

As mentioned in the following thread, seems like it's a bug (or by stupid design) and there is a workaround solution for that.

You need to add a column from the data source that is referencing in the lookup.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-PowerApps-Formerly/Common-Data-Service-Returns-no-data-...

ClearCollect(ContactCollection,
    DropColumns(
        AddColumns(
            ShowColumns(Contacts, "fullname", "createdby"),
            "tempUserColumn",
            First(Users).User
        ),
        "tempUserColumn"
    )
)

Helpful
Level 8

This needs to be fixed urgently.  It has broken previously functioning apps in production which is unacceptable.

The behavior change is not consistent with "Lookup to second level tables" specified in this post back in August:  https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/preview-for-improve-data-source-experience-and-common-dat...

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Users online (9,119)