cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

Set Primary Field value to another field without Flow?

I'm building a model-driven app.

I'm wanting to set the Primary Field of some records to equal the text label of a selected lookup value. Since we can't make the Primary Field be a calculated value, I thought a business rule might do it but I'm confused how to update the value of one field with the value of another. 

I'd prefer not to have to do this in Power Automate if possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Set Primary Field value to another field without Flow?

Hi @notj ,

Do you want to update a field with value of another field in same record?

Regarding the needs that you mentioned, I think the Business Rule could achieve your needs. On your side, you could consider create a Business Rule for CDS Entity which is related to your Model-Driven app as below:

2.JPG

More details about creating Business Rule for Enty forms, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/model-driven-apps/create-business-rules-recommendat...

In addition, I also think the Workflow could also achieve your needs. More details about creating a workflow for a CDS Entity, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/workflow-processes

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

You may be able to use business rule to do this, but I’m a fan of real time workflow for this kind of thing. Hold on and I will post a video showing how

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @notj ,

Do you want to update a field with value of another field in same record?

Regarding the needs that you mentioned, I think the Business Rule could achieve your needs. On your side, you could consider create a Business Rule for CDS Entity which is related to your Model-Driven app as below:

2.JPG

More details about creating Business Rule for Enty forms, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/model-driven-apps/create-business-rules-recommendat...

In addition, I also think the Workflow could also achieve your needs. More details about creating a workflow for a CDS Entity, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/workflow-processes

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

As per the previous posts, you could either use a Business Rule, or a real-time workflow (which doesn't use Power Automate). There's not a lot to chose between either approach, but there are a few differences:

• With business rules, you can choose the scope; i.e. whether it only runs on certain forms, or entity-level scope. If you want this to run for all scenarios (including records created or modified outside of a form), then you'll need entity-level scope
  • With real-time workflows you have different control on when it triggers - e.g. on Create, on Update of fields (in this case, the lookup field). You can also set it to run on-demand, which may be useful to run for existing records

Overall, I'd go for a real-time workflow, partly out of habit, but also so I can run it on-demand, but I expect either option would work for your scenario

Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

@v-xida-msft   That worked. I was trying that before but I didn't realize my Primary text field would only take other text fields. 

Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

@DavidJennaway thanks, I didn't see that scope option up there. That definitely makes it more useful. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (3,818)