cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Suggestions for a Control that clones a record and related records from a previously entered parent record

Hi,

I have a simple data entry powerapp that is connected to some entities: 1. Orders > 1:N > 2. Groups > 1:N > 3. Products & 4. Decorations

When a user in my app creates an Order, they will be manually entering details through a form control to create a Group. That Group can contain many Products and Decorations and those are also entered through separate forms and are patched to the related parent Group.

These entities are all displayed in their own galleries, so when a user wants to delete a Group, they will select the item and an icon will delete the record and all related records.

To speed up the process of entering data in the forms, I'd like to allow the user to "clone" their selected Group and all related Product and Decoration records. What this should functionally do is create a another record for all the same items but give them a new unique record id. This way, instead of entering everything all over again, if there are only minor changes they would just do small edits instead.

Question: In the above scenario, what is the best practise for creating a control (button) that can clone a parent record and related records? I'm imagining it could include a ForAll or Patch function but just curious about other optimized ways of writing the formula.

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Suggestions for a Control that clones a record and related records from a previously entered parent record

Hi @virakones,

I don't think there's a best practice in general and or one "does-it-all" operation in canvas apps. Since you're using entities and a CDS backend you can use server-side logic to perform the cloning with the help of some tools/helpers such as https://github.com/demianrasko/Dynamics-365-Workflow-Tools You can leverage this and with no code perform a clone of your record. This way from your app it's just one REST api call with a custom action to CDS to perform the whole cloning, which simplifies your app's code drastically and have re-usable cloning logic for other scenarios.

Hope this help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (6,484)