Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Shidin
Level: Powered On

Use CDS as a substitute for 'D365 for Sales'

Hi All, 

I come from a D365 CE background. 

I understand that D365 is built on top of PowerApps, which is why creating a new enviornment/database creates a Dynamics 365 instance as well. 

Question:

The PowerApps Plan 2, is priced less than half of any of the Dynamics 365 applications.

So technically, can I not go for a PowerApps Plan 2 and then customise the Dynamics 365 instance and get my users to work there? Basically I build out what I need on that Dynamics 365 instance.

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
PowerApps Staff CWesener
PowerApps Staff

Re: Use CDS as a substitute for 'D365 for Sales'

Hi @Shidin - the PowerApps Plan 2 doesnt have access to the Dynamics 365 Applications themselves (Sales, Service, Talent, etc) - it can be used to build and run custom applications built on the platform, but not the Dynamics Applications released by Microsoft. Those applications require the relevant Dynamics 365 license to use them.

If your goal is to build purely custom applications, and you're not using the Dynamics 365 applications - than abosolutely the P2 is the right license for you. If you need to use the Dynamics applications, or their restricted entities, then you would need a license for that application.

Hope this helps,

Clay.

Thanks,
Clay.

View solution in original post

Shidin

@dnicolauv 

Hi, this is what my query actually meant. Can we build out a custom application which replicates one of the native D365 applications / 1st party applications.

Going by @CWesener's reply and this blog by the one and only @ScottDurow, apprently we can!

The licensing for PowerApps Plan 2 grants only read access to restricted entities

So assuming:

1. You do not need anything more than read access to the restricted entities.

2. You have a P2 plan.

You should be able to create the sales app using the OOB entities itself. Pretty much the XRM we always wanted!

Regards,

SH

6 REPLIES 6
PowerApps Staff CWesener
PowerApps Staff

Hi @Shidin - the PowerApps Plan 2 doesnt have access to the Dynamics 365 Applications themselves (Sales, Service, Talent, etc) - it can be used to build and run custom applications built on the platform, but not the Dynamics Applications released by Microsoft. Those applications require the relevant Dynamics 365 license to use them.

If your goal is to build purely custom applications, and you're not using the Dynamics 365 applications - than abosolutely the P2 is the right license for you. If you need to use the Dynamics applications, or their restricted entities, then you would need a license for that application.

Hope this helps,

Clay.

Thanks,
Clay.

dnicolauv
Level: Power Up

But could you build a custom "My Sales App" by replicating some of the 1st party app entities using custom entities (for example creating a custom opportunity entity) and building in some of the features you need? Would that be allowed under the P2 plan or will it create a conflict license-wise?

Shidin

@dnicolauv 

Hi, this is what my query actually meant. Can we build out a custom application which replicates one of the native D365 applications / 1st party applications.

Going by @CWesener's reply and this blog by the one and only @ScottDurow, apprently we can!

The licensing for PowerApps Plan 2 grants only read access to restricted entities

So assuming:

1. You do not need anything more than read access to the restricted entities.

2. You have a P2 plan.

You should be able to create the sales app using the OOB entities itself. Pretty much the XRM we always wanted!

Regards,

SH

dnicolauv2

@Shidin

Hi, thanks for your reply. I understand that as well. However, the D365 license guide (updated July 2018) states this:

Custom Entities

Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Team Members and higher provide the right to use custom entities. Custom entities may only be created or replicated by a partner or user licensed for full Application or Plan use. Rights to create or replicate new custom entities are not included with Dynamics 356 for Team Members and Dynamics 356 for Operations Activity licenses. Custom entities may be based on entities included in Dynamics 365 or created by a customer or partner. If the custom entity is based on or replicates the functionality of entities included in Microsoft Dynamics 365, or if the entity links to entities included in Microsoft Dynamics 365, then users accessing the custom entity must also be licensed to access the included or replicated entity. For example, users creating an entity that replicates the cases entity for a ticketing system would still require the user to be licensed for cases. In other words, customizations may only be performed against entities users are licensed to access.

They do not explicitly mention PowerApps Plan 2 and it seems it related only to Team Member license (which makes sense).

Additionally, the sentence says "In other words, customizations may only be performed against entities users are licensed to access.".

PowerApps Plan 2 actually allows read access to restricted entities if I'm not mistaken so it seems to qualify to perform customizations against it even though acess is only read. So, again, it seems P2 allows for replicating this entities.

Anyway it makes me doubt. What do you think?

@CWesener?

Thanks

Shidin

@dnicolauv2 

"PowerApps Plan 2 actually allows read access to restricted entities if I'm not mistaken so it seems to qualify to perform customizations against it even though acess is only read. So, again, it seems P2 allows for replicating this entities."

This is my understanding as well. Using P2, we will be able to develop custom entities which can replicate OOB functionality. As P2 license is as almost as good as a full D365 license, with the exception of those restricted entities and the other slick features like SharePoint integration etc.

I wouldn't see anyone trying to build out a custom 'My Sales' app because:

1. It will not have the integration features such as Relationship Assistant, LinkedIn Sales navigator, and who knows, more features that are planned for the future?
    Surely, we don't want to be stuck in limbo because we chose P2 license over a full D365 license.
    Seeing the rate at which new features are being released and things are changing. It would be an unwarranted and unneccesary risk. Better safe than sorry!
  2. Logically, at some point we will cross a line (without realising) into a conflict license-wise, though I am still yet to find anything in the documentation which says other-wise.

Here is a great blog by @jukkaniiranen around the same discussion.

Cheers!

dnicolauv

Yes, that's exactly how I understand it as well.

True: it makes no sense trying to replicate the sales app and I think it's virtually impossible to do. My idea was more geared towards building a small "light" sales app for customers who only need to manage a few of the features the full sales app offers and for whom the full Sales license is overkill since they won't be using most of it.

Thank you very much!
Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Users Online
Currently online: 298 members 6,419 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: