cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JasonF
Level: Powered On

Using Autonumbers in Forms

I am just starting out using powerapps and wanted to build an app using the CDS. In doing so I wanted my primary field to unique and I discovered the handy Autonumber feature of CDS. This was great, but once I went to power apps and submitted the form with my new record it gave me errors. It appears that posting the record through powerapps is not generating the next sequence of autonumber. Is there a work around for this. Attached is a simple table and form showing my problem.

PS.  Also does anyone know why CDS creates (base) fields for currency?

CDS Autonumber.JPGCDS Entity Definiton and Autonumber field (Primary)Edit Form CDS.JPGPowerapps Edit FormSubmitForm.JPGError on Submit form if you do not manually enter PID value

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-siky-msft
Level 10

Re: Using Autonumbers in Forms

Hi @JasonF 

That seems your PID field is still required, because a “*” is on the left.

Have you ever clicked "Save Entity" button on the lower right corner after you change the field type to AutoNumber and click "Done" button?

Annotation 2019-10-17 154723.png

If you have done this, you still don't forget to refresh your CDS entity data source, delete the EditForm and re-create one in you PowerApps Studio.

Hope this can help.

Best regards,

Sik

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Hi @JasonF 

@The auto number is assigned when the form is saved. Try changing the settings so that it is not required.

v-siky-msft
Level 10

Hi @JasonF 

That seems your PID field is still required, because a “*” is on the left.

Have you ever clicked "Save Entity" button on the lower right corner after you change the field type to AutoNumber and click "Done" button?

Annotation 2019-10-17 154723.png

If you have done this, you still don't forget to refresh your CDS entity data source, delete the EditForm and re-create one in you PowerApps Studio.

Hope this can help.

Best regards,

Sik

View solution in original post

JasonF
Level: Powered On

Thanks v-silky-msft,

It was not the entity not being saced properly, it was the form. I had to delete the datasource from the form and re-attach it. This cause the form to redefine itself and everything worked.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,217)