cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
4th8
Level: Powered On

View and edit timeline notes

I have a model driven power app that is using a CDS entity as a data source. When I am viewing entries via the Dynamics 365 portal it has a timeline section with a notes field that we have been using.  Where are these notes stored and how can I access them from a canvas app form. I have attached a screenshot of the section i am referring to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SKH19
Level 10

Re: View and edit timeline notes

Hi @4th8 

Go to the Note entity in the maker portal:

Annotation 2020-01-08 093018.png

In order to see it you will probably have to set the view in the top right to "All" instead of "Default"

Annotation 2020-01-08 093121.png

When in the Note entity, select Relationships. Once again select the "All" view from the top right so you can see all the relationships. From here you can see which other Entities lookup to the Note entity.

If the entity you want to use Notes for isn't in the list, then you need to enable Notes for that entity. Go to the entity (in my example, I go to my Employee entity) and open it in the maker portal. Along the top select Settings:

Annotation 2020-01-08 093905.png

In the settings click the box for Enable attachments (including notes and files) and then save your changes.

Now your entity has a lookup to the Notes entity.

If you add your entity to a Power App you will now see the Notes field in the list:

Annotation 2020-01-08 094249.png

---
Please hit the "Accept as Solution" button if my post answered your question! If my post was helpful please consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SKH19
Level 10

Hi @4th8 

When you say the Dynamics portal do you mean home.dynamics.com?

I am unclear on how you are accessing this Notes section.

The notes are stored in the annotation entity. These are linked to the parent entity via the objectid field

Microsoft v-siky-msft
Microsoft

Hi @4th8 ,

The note is stored in an entity named 'Note'.  Just add it to Data source in PowerApps as usual.

Snipaste_2020-01-08_16-09-42.pngSnipaste_2020-01-08_16-10-51.png

Sik

4th8

@v-siky-msft 

I am trying to add the notes section to a edit form card. I have found the Notes entity and added it as a data source. However it still escapes me as to how to associate it to the Parent item.

Thank you for your help in advanced. 

SKH19
Level 10

Hi @4th8 

Go to the Note entity in the maker portal:

Annotation 2020-01-08 093018.png

In order to see it you will probably have to set the view in the top right to "All" instead of "Default"

Annotation 2020-01-08 093121.png

When in the Note entity, select Relationships. Once again select the "All" view from the top right so you can see all the relationships. From here you can see which other Entities lookup to the Note entity.

If the entity you want to use Notes for isn't in the list, then you need to enable Notes for that entity. Go to the entity (in my example, I go to my Employee entity) and open it in the maker portal. Along the top select Settings:

Annotation 2020-01-08 093905.png

In the settings click the box for Enable attachments (including notes and files) and then save your changes.

Now your entity has a lookup to the Notes entity.

If you add your entity to a Power App you will now see the Notes field in the list:

Annotation 2020-01-08 094249.png

---
Please hit the "Accept as Solution" button if my post answered your question! If my post was helpful please consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

Helpful
Level 8

If someone wouldn't mind validating this again.  I don't see the same result.

Disregard.

Microsoft Helpful2
Microsoft

What I meant to say was that after adding a Notes field, I get a red circle on the data card indicating a formula problem.  In the formula bar it says Items = Choices(_)

4th8

I am seeing this as well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Users online (4,712)