Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Christoph_G
Level: Powered On

Where are attachments stored?

Hello,

I have two questions concerning CDS attachments (the ones you can add after ticking the box "Enable attachments (including notes and files)")

1) Where are attachments stored?
I can access them in PowerApps via ThisItem.{Attachments} which works fine; but when i look into the Entitiy "Attachments" in the CDS it is empty.

2) How much storage do i have for Attachments in total?
This Post talks about 10MB size limit per attachment, but not about the total file storage.
I in general would be interested in CDS Storage.
On this site it says sth about "File Storage in CDS per User" and "Data Storage in CDS per User" but both of these lines have no value specified.
On pricing.powerapps.com there is also no specification concerning storage amount. It just refers to the upper link where there is no specification either (as already stated)

Thank you and kind regards
Christoph

Accepted Solutions
AbeSaldana

Re: Where are attachments stored?

Christoph_G, 

The attachements when you enable the Notes and Attachements, are saved to the entity Annotations, that is related automatically with that entity. 

There are other ways to save the attachments and that is when in Dynamics 365 CE you enable SharePoint integrations, but the most comon one is to use the Annotations (Notes) entity out of the box. 

The space is limited to 10MB per attachment, you can add as many attachments and that will impact your CDS and Dynamics 365 Data base, and will incurr in a charge on data space. 

Hope this helps. 

Abe.

All Replies
Community Support Team Rank
Community Support Team

Hi @Christoph_G,

Did you make sure that you have followed the steps here:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/add-attachments-to-your-common-data-service-entities/

You can access the attachment using attachment control for canvas PowerApps.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Christoph_G

hi @v-monli-msft

thank you for your answer and sorry the question, but: did you even read my question?

I did write that attaching files and accessing the attachments in PowerApps works fine.

The real question was where attachments are stored in the background.... Apparently not in the "Attachments" Entity of the CDS (since it's empty; also if there are attachments on records), but where?
Second question: How much storage is available for attachments within the CDS there's no information to be found anywhere (or at least i didn't find it...)

Thank you and kind regards
Christoph

AbeSaldana

Christoph_G, 

The attachements when you enable the Notes and Attachements, are saved to the entity Annotations, that is related automatically with that entity. 

There are other ways to save the attachments and that is when in Dynamics 365 CE you enable SharePoint integrations, but the most comon one is to use the Annotations (Notes) entity out of the box. 

The space is limited to 10MB per attachment, you can add as many attachments and that will impact your CDS and Dynamics 365 Data base, and will incurr in a charge on data space. 

Hope this helps. 

Abe.