cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ghdunn
Level: Powered On

configuring email synch with exchange

I have successfully synched my mailbox with a model driven app that includes the Activities entity so I can send an email from my app. However, would I expect to see the sent email appear in my Outlook online sent items as well as in just in my App?

It just seems logical that it should and indeed deceptive if it doensn't...my exchange/outlook account is therefore not showing 100% of activity.

Am I missing any config step, or is this just the way it works?   

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Microsoft v-siky-msft
Microsoft

Re: configuring email synch with exchange

Hi @ghdunn ,

Have you tried "Dynamics 365 App for Outlook" add-on? You could install the "Dynamics 365 App for Outlook" add-on in your Outlook client, then you could use it to sync data from your Outlook to CDS Entity.

More details about "Dynamics 365 App for Outlook" add-on in Outlook, please check the following article or blog:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/outlook-app/dynamics-365-app-outlook-user-s-guide

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-the-powerapp-that-brings-common-data-service-...

Sik

View solution in original post

HSheild
Level 10

You don’t need a Dynamics 365 license to use the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook with CDS, just a Power Apps license. See the start of the second article that Sik sent in the previous message.

However, I’m not sure if the Outlook App is going to fix your issue of not seeing emails sent from CDS in Outlook since the Outlook App uses Server Side Sync to sync the emails with Exchange. I’ve also see this behaviour where sent emails do not show in the Outlook sent items folder. Interested if there is an actual answer for this or if emails not showing up in Outlook is just the way it works?

3 REPLIES 3
Microsoft v-siky-msft
Microsoft

Hi @ghdunn ,

Have you tried "Dynamics 365 App for Outlook" add-on? You could install the "Dynamics 365 App for Outlook" add-on in your Outlook client, then you could use it to sync data from your Outlook to CDS Entity.

More details about "Dynamics 365 App for Outlook" add-on in Outlook, please check the following article or blog:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/outlook-app/dynamics-365-app-outlook-user-s-guide

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-the-powerapp-that-brings-common-data-service-...

Sik

ghdunn
Level: Powered On

@v-siky-msft 

I haven't tried that, because I am guessing it would require a Dynamics 365 licence.

This got more confusing when I found I could do it in one tenancy and not another...ie configure email to work 'natively' within a Model Driven App and synch with Outlook.

I have now raises a call, and have been told it is due to inconsistencies across different tenancies which will corrected shortly.

Thanks once again!

Ged

HSheild
Level 10

You don’t need a Dynamics 365 license to use the Dynamics 365 App for Outlook with CDS, just a Power Apps license. See the start of the second article that Sik sent in the previous message.

However, I’m not sure if the Outlook App is going to fix your issue of not seeing emails sent from CDS in Outlook since the Outlook App uses Server Side Sync to sync the emails with Exchange. I’ve also see this behaviour where sent emails do not show in the Outlook sent items folder. Interested if there is an actual answer for this or if emails not showing up in Outlook is just the way it works?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,023)