cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

is it possible to Relate Entity records in a dataflow?

I have a datasource with a many-to-many relationship included 

I have 2 related entites, Projects and Accounts
simplified my datasource looks like this

[
    {
        "project_id": "123",
        "project_name":" my cool project",
        "accounts": [
            "account_id":"123",
            "account_id":"124",
            "account_id":"125"
        ]
    },
    {
        "project_id": "124",
        "project_name":" my other cool project",
        "accounts": [
            "account_id":"123",
            "account_id":"124",
            "account_id":"126"
        ]
    }
]

Assuming i have that accountID on my accounts in CDS, can i relate these entities using (power query Dataflows/Data integrations)

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: is it possible to Relate Entity records in a dataflow?

Hi @Ballzer0 ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to relate the Projects and Accounts Entity when you load data into the Projects Entity using Data flow or Data Integration?

If you want to relate the Projects and Accounts Entity when you load data into the Projects Entity using Data flow or Data Integration, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

Relating two different CDS Entities when loading data into one Entity using Data flow or Data Integration is not supported in PowerApps currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please consider submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

As an alternative solution, I think the Relate function could achieve your needs. You could consider create an app, then add Projects and Accounts Entity within your app. Then add one Gallery control for each data source in your app screen, then connect the Gallery to Projects Entity and Accounts Entity separately.

Within the First Gallery (connects to Projects Entity), set the OnSelect property of the ">" icon to following (relate selected Account from second Gallery to the specific Project record in first Gallery😞

Relate(ThisItem.Accounts, LookUp(Accounts, Account = SecondGallery.Selected.Account))

Within the Second Gallery (connects to Accounts Entity), set the OnSelect property of the ">" icon to following (relate the selected Project from first Gallery to the specific Account record in second Gallery😞

Relate(ThisItem.Projects, LookUp(Projects, Project = FirstGallery.Seletced.Project))

Please check and see if the following article would help in your scenario:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-relate-unrelate

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @Ballzer0  and @v-xida-msft 

There is already an idea posted about this here

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/Support-the-ability-to-import-data-into-a-looku...

Please vote.

This was back when the Data Flow was called Data Integration.

-----

If this post has answered your question please consider it for "Accept as Solution" or if it has been helpful give it a "Thumbs Up".

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

yeah, this doesnt help me, as im integrating with a different data source that already has these relations. Doing this in powerapps would be an incredible amount of manual managment. I guess i need to use the CDS api or use PowerAutomate to relate these entities :S

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Users online (8,830)