Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Inpriya01
Level: Powered On

owner field in entity

Hello:

I see there is a field called "owner" in an entity.

what is this stand for? 

a record in an entity can be owned by a team or an user.

can someone explain what does that mean? 

if record owner is a USER then it can be editable only by that user??

if the record owner is a TEAM then it can be editable by only team members?

owner in model driven app.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: owner field in entity

Hi @Inpriya01 ,

Based on the issue that you mentioned, I think you have some misunderstanding with the Owner field in CDS Entity.

Firstly, the Owner field is a System field in CDS Entity, the Owner field would be populated automatically by CDS System based on current user who create the record in the Entity. E.G. If User A create a record in a Entity, the Owner filed would be populated with User A automatically. If a Team member A create a record in a Entity, the Owner field would be populated with Team Member A automatically.

Note: When we create a record within a CDS Entity, we could not specify a value for the Owner filed manually, the Owner field would be populated automatically by CDS System.

In addition, the Owner field in CDS Entity is also a Polymorphic lookup type field, which could reference record value from Users Entity or Teams Entity.

Please check the following article for more details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/working-with-references#polymorphic-loo...

Actually, whether or not a user (or a team) could edit a record in a Entity is based on which CDS Entity permission (corresponding CDS Security Role) has been assigned to this user (or this team), rather than based on what is the Owner field value.

Note: The Owner field value could be modified, please refer to here for more details.

More details about CDS Security Roles supported within PowerApps, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/admin/database-security

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MarcoLotscherNC

Thank you for this explanation.

I think technically I understand it.

But what is the intention behind this field then? What is it be used for usually?

Inpriya01

thank you for the explanation.

But I didnt udnerstand the business usage of it.

basically my requirement is, 

1. we have an entity called  - CUSTOMER

2. we have two user roles, requester & approver( Requester A, Requester B, Requester C)

3. whenever a requester modifies any record, a FLOW need to be triggered. Requester A make some changes in the record sumbit the request.

4. now that record must be locked for editing and only approvers have access to modify it

5. If approver SENDBACK the task for any rework then the record must be avialable for editing only for requester A(requester B, C and approvers shoudl not be allowed to change it)

I dont know how to achieve this in CDS. was wondering if Owner field can help me to handle this scenairo.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

Users Online
Currently online: 58 members 3,547 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: