cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeraldDahl
Level: Powered On

pulling related option set data

I recreated Adrian's app from his YouTube video and I added an option set to an entity named Participant (aka contacts). As a result of using Adrian's structure, when I create an event-participant (junction table) record I can therefore look up the participant. What I wish also to know is how to look up in like manner is the value stored from the option set for that participant to also be included in the event-participant record as soon as I have done looking up the participant. Thanks to any and all for helpful tips you can share, please.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: pulling related option set data

Hi @GeraldDahl,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Could you please share more details about the needs you want to achieve?

Further, do you want the related (other) options/values stored from the Participant Option Set column to be included in the event-participant record?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think the "Multi Select Option Set" type column in your CDS entity could achieve your needs.

On your side, you could consider convert the "Option Set" type column (Participant field) in your CDS Entity into the "Multi Select Option Set" type, then you could select multiple options within your Participant field.

Note: You may need to re-create a new "Multi Selection Option Set" type column instead of your Original "Option Set" type column in your CDS Entity.

More details about the Multi Select Option Set column in CDS, please check the following blog:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/option-sets-and-many-to-many-relationships-for-canvas-app...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GeraldDahl
Level: Powered On

Re: pulling related option set data

Hello and thank you for your reply.

I have read the option set blog but was not able to recreate its context. I already have two environments which use the normal CDS connector, and, when I tried to create a third environment in order to utilize the experimental connector a message appeared saying that my plan only let me have two environments.

At any rate, I agree with you that the multi-option set would be better. I think I could create that within the context of the partipant, event-participant scenario, however, I'm still not sure how to 'drag' values selected in that field (from the Participant entity) into a record being created and stored from within the Events-Participant entity as a consequence of having first used a look up in the Events-Participant form to select the desired contact (and in so doing having its previously selected option set attributes appear).

My real life goal for all of this is as follows (I will describe it now so that you get a detailed sense of what I'm trying to achieve):

Using a form from the Contacts entity I will create contacts.

- I will also create a multi option select field within the Contacts entity to capture information such as: on Christmas card list; on volunteer list; lives within zone; lives outside of zone etctera.

- As I enter name, address, email and phone info for that contact I will also select appropriate values for that contact from the multi-option field that will also get added to the form for that Contacts entity.

I will also have an entity named Items that will include a filed called items that I will use to create a number of items I wish to incorporate into records that consist of a contact and an associated item for that contact.

- Some of the rows that I create to populate the field called items will be: has financial concern; has educational concern; has health concern

Finally I will create an entity called Records with fields such as: contact attributes; contact name; item name; record notes.

- On the form I create for this Records entity I want to skip over the contact attributes part of the form and have it automatically drag info about the appropriate contact as soon as I enter and select the name of the contact in the lookup field called contact name. I also want item name to be a look up field that allows me to select the items I created in the item field of the item entity. If I wish to add further notes I will put them in record notes. Once multiple records have been created in this records form I hope to be able to sort and filter the list of records based on both the attributes for the contact that were dragged over from where they were first entered in the contacts field as well as on the type of item that contact has been associated with.

For instance, as I look at all the records I want to be able to filter them to view only those records that have to do with educational concern where the associate contact also values selected for lives within zone and volunteer.

I believe that in order to create an app that does all this that it is necessary to create relationships between entities, however, I'm a bit foggy when and where to use many to one or one to many. For instance, if I were creating a relationship within the Contact entity, I probably would venture to create a one to many relationship so as to create a context where one contact can have many records, and, I think I also recall that I would have to identify the corresponding field in the Records entity when that relationship is created from within the Contact entity, therefore I would indicate the contact name field as the one to point to. But honestly, I could have it all backwards. Perhaps I need to build the relationship from within the Records entity and have it point back to the Contacts entity. Or perhaps I need to build both of the relationships described above.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if I specifically have to build a relationship between the option or multi-option set field from one entity and the corresponding field in another entity. To be clear, I do not want a context where from within the form in Records, after I have looked up the contact for selection, that I also have to click in the form space for the option set only to be presented with the opportunity to select anew attributes for that contact which are otherwise blank - what I really want is for those attributes originally selected when I created the contact to appear filled in for quick recall and understanding of what is true and already known about that contact.

Sorry for this long detailed and perhaps repetitive explanation. I can't believe I'm the only one who doesn't know how to do this.

If I can sort out the trouble I've described above my next step is to build a canvas app that uses galleries to view the info stored in the galleries (I've already tried this and had mixed success getting option set values to appear with any confidence or consistency). I also want to build edit forms in Powerapps canvas apps that do two things: successfully submit themselves so that the entity records data inputted from within the Powerapps canvas apps as well as patching that same data to a Sharepoint list (including the option or multi-set option data) so that I can filter them from a mobile device using the sharepoint app.

Finally I would also like to figure out how to get a mobile app that plays the model driven app I'm trying to create for Contacts and Items and Records but when I download the Dynamics 365 app it says something about needing a piece of information that got emailed to me, and, I don't ever recall ever asking for something like that or receiving anything like that.

Thanks again for any help that you can assist me with.