cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gela-girl

Limited version history - missing/lost chunks of a Microsoft Word document

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help. I have a document that I have been using to gather notes for a project I am working on. The document was created in October 2018. Today I was searching for a passage written about six weeks ago but could not find it - I can only assume it was accidentally deleted. When I went into the Version History it only went back to 19 February - and the passage was not in that version. How can I go back further? The document is on Auto-Save.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brad_Groux
Super User II
Super User II

Are you sure you are posting this in the correct community? This sounds like something for the SharePoint community rather than Flow.

With that said, version history can be configured by your administrators, and can be configured to limit the number of versions maintained

It should be noted, that versioning only exists if the file is edited, not overwritten. When a file is uploaded, and overwrites a previous file version with the same name - it actually creates a new Document ID, which is what version history is tied to. So SharePoint sees that newer version of the document, as a completely different document. To maintain versioning, you must edit from within SharePoint and/or "check out" and "check in" the document from the document library. 

1 REPLY 1
Brad_Groux
Super User II
Super User II

Are you sure you are posting this in the correct community? This sounds like something for the SharePoint community rather than Flow.

With that said, version history can be configured by your administrators, and can be configured to limit the number of versions maintained

It should be noted, that versioning only exists if the file is edited, not overwritten. When a file is uploaded, and overwrites a previous file version with the same name - it actually creates a new Document ID, which is what version history is tied to. So SharePoint sees that newer version of the document, as a completely different document. To maintain versioning, you must edit from within SharePoint and/or "check out" and "check in" the document from the document library. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Users online (71,050)