cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnP
Level 8

Re: New PowerApps and Flow Licensing coming October 1, 2019

@Eickhel@Pstork1 

Wow. This is horrible. How to explain this increased cost to the customer? With the E5 licenses our customer could consume the app with no additional cost until now. And now they have to pay an additional $120 per user per year? And without no prior notice?

Edit:

The existing P1 and P2 plans for PowerApps and Microsoft Flow will be transitioning to the new PowerApps per app and per user plans, as well as the Microsoft Flow per user and per Microsoft Flow plans.

E5 licenses have P1 ... does that not mean that they already have a "PowerApps per app" plan?

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

One Correction.  Office 365 E5 licenses contain the standard PowerApps license, not the P1 license.  The P1 license is going away Oct 1, unless you are grandfathered in for a year.  Choices in the future will be the "seeded" license included with E5, PerApp license at $10/user/app/month, or standalone $40/per user per month.

And I agree that a lot of customers are going to have sticker shock.  But to be clear.  You can continue to use PowerApps and Flow to enhance SharePoint and OneDrive without additional cost. Developing using SQL and Azure, which I do like a lot, is what will get massively more expensive for Office users.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
digiservice
Level: Powered On

For us this is going to most likely pull the plug on all PowerApps development. 

We don't want to silo data into sharepoint lists but cannot justify the cost for 1500 staff members to access apps connected to SQL.

Really quite outrageous, we will be forced to use a competitor product.

Such a shame, Microsoft, please rethink this.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I agree with the sentiment.  My only advice would be to make sure to price out the thrid party options before you pull the plug.  Most of the people I know who work with them suggest that the cost is comparable to the new pricing in PowerApps and Flow.  That's one of the reasons MS thinks they can get away with this.

Highlighted
pulsebeat

Stunned - I still can't get my head around it

Convinced organization that Power Platform was way to go....check.

Spent year+ ramping up skills .... check.

Developed 20 plus business applictions now in use throughout organization....check.
Have many other apps in the pipeline....check.

Won't be able to take budget hit...check.

Earlier today I spoke to our MS reps about this, trying to get some clarity.    They did their best to explain but were noticably subdued.  You can tell that they were like "Even I can't believe this".  

opit

What will happen with shared apps in Office 365 environment? For example, let’s say I have an app that uses Azure SQL connector (which will become Premium) that I shared with 10 other Office 365 users. Will all 10 app users have to purchase a PowerApps plan or is 1 plan enough for the app owner starting from the 1st of October 2019?
Eickhel
Level 8

All users will need to have a license.

Keep in mind of the grandfathered period until 2024 if you already have your app in production using the Azure SQL connector.
opit

@Eickhel  could you please comment on "app in production"? for example: if i create and publish an app till 1st of october, will it count as app on production?

And if i am going to make some changes, updates to this app after 1st of october?

Eickhel
Level 8

According to the docs ( you can also check your Office 365 message center ), if the app was deployed before Oct. 1st it will be granted the grandfathered period. During this period you will be able to use the Azure SQL connector as if it was a standard one.
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

App in production just means an app that has been shared and Published.  It should also include any apps that you wrote for yourself.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Speakers, submit your sessions now! Call for speakers ends Feb. 10!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,078)