cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: New PowerApps and Flow Licensing coming October 1, 2019

Great!

However, there are still questions out there. For example, what happens if my app need another connection to the same Azure SQL database, but to another table? That is in some ways a new connector. At least it is listed as a connector in the app.

Of if i need to connect the app to another Azure SQL database inside the same app that is already connected to a Azure SQL database?

Do we have any information on how the "per app/per user/per month/per etc"-licenses are bound to a specific app? Is that handled by the app maker or by the GA?

I understand that you dont have all the answers, but have you seen/heard anything regarding the above, Paul?

/Magnus

Power Apps Staff dileeps
Power Apps Staff

It is based on connection type not on the connector itself. So if your app needs another connection to a different table, it is fine. Same with another SQL database itself.  As long as your App Id doesn't change, you can use it. 

As for licenses,

a) per user licenses are bound to a user like how all normal licenses work. They are not bound to any app.

b) Per app licenses are not bound to any user or app, they are bound to the environment where your app is present. They are like passes and get automatically consumed when a user who doesn't have any user license, uses an app enabled for per app passes.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

The App is what is grandfathered in.  So adding another SQL connector to another table should be fine.  There are always going to be scenarios that are not specifically called out in the FAQs.  Its hard to cover every contingency.  But the exception is provided at the level of the App or Flow according to the FAQ, not a specific connector.

Assignment of the perApp license would be done like any other license, by the global admin, or someone the GA delegates that capability to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks for clarification dileeps and Paul!

For the per app-licenses, is it possible that a citizen developer create an app that uses premium connectors and share it to a large amount of users that eventually start to use the apps and consumes all the available per app licenses available?

Or am I missing something? As far as i know we cannot prevent users from creating apps in the default environment.

/Magnus

Power Apps Staff dileeps
Power Apps Staff

You will be able to prevent that because per app passes needs to be added to an environment. And as a Global admin, you will be able to control how much is added to each. This documentation would be live in few days.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@dileeps

One correction.  The per app licenses is $10 per app, per user, per month and is bound to both a specific app and a specific user.  But only user's who use the app need to be licensed.  So you could have one app with 10 users and another app with 20 users.  That would be 30 licenses and they would be assigned to specific users, although they can be re-assigned at any time.

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

For the App license - it needs to be assigned by someone with admin authority.  So a user would not be able to create an app that uses a premium connector under the app license, or share it, without approval.  An admin would have to assign the per app license to the app and to each user of the app.

Power Apps Staff dileeps
Power Apps Staff

@pstork - so it is a bit different, per app passes are per user but they are not like user licenses which are pre-assigned to a specific user. They are assigned to an env like capacity.

Now, when a user use any app in that env which uses premium connector (which has opted in to use passes) and doesn't have a user license, they will automatically be tied to a per app pass. 

DirectorMumbles
Level: Powered On

This entire thing is a disaster and a good way to kill a promising platform

@dileeps @Pstork1 

Wow.... thanks for the clarification. Good to know 

Any reason the documentation wasn't released... oh I don't know... BEFORE rolling out this convoluted system?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Speakers, submit your sessions now! Call for speakers ends Feb. 10!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,213)