cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Microsoft Employee

[BUG] Visual Studio: Update work item - Output is incomplete

Visual Studio: Update a work item Action is returning an incomplete output. I'm only getting back Id, Revision count and URL.

I checked with the VS API for update work items and it does show it returning a full work item object.

See screenshot:

UpdateWorkItemsTruncatesReturnValue.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Power Automate Staff tpalmer
Power Automate Staff

Re: [BUG] Visual Studio: Update work item - Output is incomplete

Hi @michowl - we've identified the bug the "update work item" action and are deploying a fix to the outputs, it should be available by the end of the week. The "Get Work Item" action is something on our backlog per customer suggestions, thanks for filing a suggestion for others to vote on it as well!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Microsoft Employee

Actually, the update is not making any changes to the Work Item except revision count.

Checking VSTS reveals that the priority number has not changed, despite the update value being passed.

Power Automate Staff

Hi @michowl - sorry you're hitting issues! I'm able to reproduce the issue you described, although the fields are listed in the "dynamic content" option the fields aren't coming through when the flow runs. I've filed a bug on our side to investigate.

I am seeing the update work sucessfully though, including the priority. Are you able to set the priority when you create a work item? Would also be good to know if you're seeing any other fields update.

Microsoft Employee

@tpalmer Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I checked and I do see Description and Priority being updated.

The output bug remains:

I am able to assign later actions to use dynamic outputs from the Update Work Item, like Description, however when run, the output is missing that content and the later actions just insert empty strings in place.

If the issue is that the VS API doesn't return the values, the solution would be to implement a Visual Studio Get Work Item action to work in conjunction with the Update Work Item action. This is a pretty glaring omission and I believe I've requested this in the Flow Ideas forum already.

Power Automate Staff

Hi @michowl - we've identified the bug the "update work item" action and are deploying a fix to the outputs, it should be available by the end of the week. The "Get Work Item" action is something on our backlog per customer suggestions, thanks for filing a suggestion for others to vote on it as well!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,067)