cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpelletier
Level: Powered On

Can't set dynamic "file" value for excel "get a row" action

I am trying to use Flow so that when someone updates an excel spreadsheet I can grab a few values from it and update attributes in a SharePoint document library.  My POC worked fine in that I can create a spreadsheet, define a "table", and store it in a SharePoint library.  When the file changes, the flow kicks off.  I can use the Excel (Business) connector to connect to my site, library and file, specify the table, key column and key value.  This all works great.  I am able to grab the value and using an update action, update my sharepoint library.

The problem is that I want the user to be able to create new spreadsheets, based off a template, that allow them to save new files to the library and have the flow get kicked off.  This would mean that I need to be able to have the "file" attribute of the action be dynamic.  Specifically, it should point to the file that initiated the flow in the first place.  This attribute does not appear to be able to be dynamic.  If I select the file with the picker it works fine.  If I try to use a dynamic property or value I type in through the expression editor it either complains or, if it takes it, tells me it can't find anything. 

Am I missing something?  This would be perfect if the file value could be dynamically set rather than statically chosen at design time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Can't set dynamic "file" value for excel "get a row" action

Hi @ mpelletier,

Could you please share a screenshot of the configuration of your flow?

Do you want to choose a dyamnic content in the "File" field to choose a excel file in the "get a row" action of excel online(Business) connector?

Microsoft flow could support to choose the file with the picker currently,

Choosing a dyamnic content in the "File" field to choose a excel file in excel online(Business) connector is not supported in Microsoft flow currently,

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Regards,
Alice Zhang

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ mpelletier,

Could you please share a screenshot of the configuration of your flow?

Do you want to choose a dyamnic content in the "File" field to choose a excel file in the "get a row" action of excel online(Business) connector?

Microsoft flow could support to choose the file with the picker currently,

Choosing a dyamnic content in the "File" field to choose a excel file in excel online(Business) connector is not supported in Microsoft flow currently,

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Regards,
Alice Zhang

View solution in original post

mpelletier

Thank you for your response.  Your understanding of my need is correct.  The file picker works just fine if I want to the selected file to be chosen at design time.  My desire was to make it dynamic so that the file could be selected at runtime.  I will submit this as a feature request. 

Thanks,

McP

hjaf

Where is your feature request, I'd back this for sure!

Any of these functions that have fields that cannot be programmatically changed should be made more obvious in the interface.. I have been barking up so many wrong trees its embarassing 😞 

hjaf

reply was duplicated during post (edit)

tcorcor1

Hi everyone,

Wrestled with this yesterday and found something in another discussion that is a great resolve for this. Please see the below link:

http://johnliu.net/blog/2019/5/workarounds-needed-to-use-the-excel-connector-in-microsoft-flow

You can grab the MS graph ID via SharePoint online API and pass that into the file attribute.

srinivas707
Level: Power Up

HI all,

I have a SharePoint folder where i need to input values in the excel and upload in the SharePoint folder and the data that is entered in the excel has to be saved in azure sql table,for which i have written microsoft flow

the data is fetched fine from excel in the flow and saved successfully in the database,but if i re upload the file

in share point folder ,the flow fails saying we cannot find the table name and when i open the flow

i could see the table name is not present,is there any dynamic way to get the table name automaticcaly

Please help

Regards

Sri

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,093)