cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
metsshan
Frequent Visitor

Changing a Connection Reference in a Managed Solution?

Hello,

We have two SQL Connections in our environment:

SQL-1

SQL-2

A Connection Reference in a managed solution was set up during import to reference 'SQL-1'.

Can we now edit/change/reimport this Connection Reference in our solution to point to 'SQL-2' instead?

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
DamoBird365
Super User
Super User

Hi @metsshan 

Are you referring to the following:

DamoBird365_0-1616999771810.png

In which case, select add new connection  for the first SQL action and then subsequently update all of the other Actions in the Flow.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Cheers,
Damien

P.S. take a look at my new blog here

Hi @metsshan 

How are you getting on?

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Cheers,
Damien

P.S. take a look at my new blog here

Hey,

Thanks for checking in!

I forgot about this for a while because we have a bit of a workaround - but we still have the wrong connection assigned to a Connection Reference in a Production Managed Solution.

Because the connection reference is used by both Flows and PowerApps, I would like to change it here:

metsshan_0-1619659187436.png

Obviously in an unmanaged solution I can Edit this connection reference. However, as a Managed solution we were able to assign the Connection to the Connection Reference during our first import, but do not know any mechanisms to change this ongoing.

FWIW I believe this should an available feature, especially as organisation may mature to towards more modern authentication types, segregation of duties etc - in which cases the need for new Connections may be required (not just editing existing ones linked to Connection References).

Thanks for helping!

kierian
Community Support
Community Support

In managed solution all components are in read only you cant edit or add new connection.

metsshan
Frequent Visitor

Hey Kierian,

Thanks for that - so in my case, what are the options for getting the Connection Reference changed from SQL 1 to SQL 2?

It seems the only way would be to delete the Solution, re-import, and choose SQL 2 for the Connection Reference value. But then I would lose all the permissions to my PowerApp, right? Possibly worse - the App ID/URL could change?

kierian
Community Support
Community Support

You have to change connection on un managed solution  once you did all change export it as managed solution that only way 

Have a good day.

metsshan
Frequent Visitor

Sorry, but how would this work?

If I change the connection in the source environment, how does Power Platform know which Connection to use for the Connection Reference in the target environment after export? The connections will have different names/IDs/values....

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,819)