cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AnnetteM
Helper I
Helper I

Changing flow connection from a user account to a service account

I have many flows that trigger from a submission to a Microsoft Form.  All of the flows I created were using my user account, however with the implementation of MFA, and best practice, I would like to change these to a service account. 

• Do I make the service account another owner to the flow?
  • How do I change the existing connections from my user account to the service account?
  • If the flow is triggered when a response is submitted to a form, does the service account need access to the form?
  • If the flow needs to write to a SharePoint list, does the service account need to have permission to the SP list?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
yashkamdar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello Team,

Putting in a detailed answer for you that should clear out all your existing queries.

Question no 1 - Do I make the service account another owner to the flow

Yes, you need to do this because currently there is no option in Power Automate wherein you can just change original owner of the Power Automate.

I would request you to please upvote the idea below to cater the above requirement-

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/allow-the-owner-to-change-the-ownership-of-...

Question no 2 - How do I change the existing connections from my user account to the service account?

Well there are 2 ways to do this-

1. Change individual connections of all the actions (which is too lengthy)

2. Take an export your Power Automate as a Package and then import the package with different user i.e Power Automate account.

How to export and import Flows is given below -

Export and import your flows across environments with packaging

I would highly recommend you to go ahead with option no 2.

Question no 3 - If the flow is triggered when a response is submitted to a form, does the service account need access to the form?

Yes, absolutely you will need access for the account the Power Automate is running under on the form whether this is a SharePoint form or a Microsoft form.

Question no 4 - If the flow needs to write to a SharePoint list, does the service account need to have permission to the SP list?

Again the answer is YES, if access is not there your Flow solution will not be able to write the file to the SP list and give you an UnAuthorized error.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
yashkamdar
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello Team,

Putting in a detailed answer for you that should clear out all your existing queries.

Question no 1 - Do I make the service account another owner to the flow

Yes, you need to do this because currently there is no option in Power Automate wherein you can just change original owner of the Power Automate.

I would request you to please upvote the idea below to cater the above requirement-

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/allow-the-owner-to-change-the-ownership-of-...

Question no 2 - How do I change the existing connections from my user account to the service account?

Well there are 2 ways to do this-

1. Change individual connections of all the actions (which is too lengthy)

2. Take an export your Power Automate as a Package and then import the package with different user i.e Power Automate account.

How to export and import Flows is given below -

Export and import your flows across environments with packaging

I would highly recommend you to go ahead with option no 2.

Question no 3 - If the flow is triggered when a response is submitted to a form, does the service account need access to the form?

Yes, absolutely you will need access for the account the Power Automate is running under on the form whether this is a SharePoint form or a Microsoft form.

Question no 4 - If the flow needs to write to a SharePoint list, does the service account need to have permission to the SP list?

Again the answer is YES, if access is not there your Flow solution will not be able to write the file to the SP list and give you an UnAuthorized error.

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

Nicolas07

The workaround for this question 2 is such a nightmare...

You have to create a "fake" service account only for the purpose of PowerApps, make sure it has owner permissions to the related Forms and Sharepoint lists, share its credentials to other persons, export your flow, import it under the fake account and only them your Flow may run without hiccups even if you leave.

But in a large organisation there is no-way this can be done.

So now I end-up with a Group-owned Flow, running on a Group-owned Form and a Group-owned Sharepoint list, but if I lose my job tomorrow and my account is closed, then the Flow becomes immediately out-of-service because it has my personal connections and I cannot assign Group-owned connections...

Hi

What about Service Principals for SharePoint connectors ?

Regards

Nigel

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,500)