cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
aorphan
Level 8

Custom Connector - multiple triggers for same URL (or multiple responses for single trigger)

Hello,

I am trying to create a new custom connector to a third party API. Some things to note:

• We do not have any control over the API, so modifying it is out of the question.
  • The API does not support OpenAPI/Swagger (it is an Apiary API, has it's own "API Blueprint"). Because of this, I have created the custom connector from blank.

This API supports a bunch of webhooks. Great! I can make a bunch of triggers! Or so I thought... 

The webhooks are from a single URL (POST --> ../api/v1/webhooks). To create a given webhook, I specify a parameter in the body of my request (e.g. "Type": "Sale/OrderAuthorised"). The first trigger was easy to set up and worked perfectly. However, I try to add another trigger (under Request > Import from Sample) and I am met with the following error:

The combination of path and method must be unique to each operation. There are 2 operations sharing this path and method including: SaleQuoteAuthorised, SaleOrderAuthorised

Bummer. So I can't create multiple triggers with the same URL. Okay then, perhaps I can make the webhook trigger generic, have the user select the "Type" in a dropdown instead, and then have multiple responses for a single trigger... NOPE. I can't add multiple responses to a single trigger either! So, what is the solution to this problem then? Seems like I should be able to workaround this limitation... but I can't figure it out. Any help is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
aorphan
Level 8

Re: Custom Connector - multiple triggers for same URL (or multiple responses for single trigger)

I was able to workaround the problem. It's not fun and Microsoft should fix the limitation to open up triggers a bit more. Here's how I did it.

1. Make your trigger generic (I just called mine "webhook").
  2. Set the body parameter "Type" visibility to "important" and set it to a static dropdown with different options.
  3. Replace the response with an empty response (click "Import from sample" then just click "Import" without entering any input).
  4. In your flows, if you want to query data out of the trigger body, you have to do it like so: triggerBody()['SomeField'] (since you cannot specify a response for this to work)

Hopefully this helps someone else!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Custom Connector - multiple triggers for same URL (or multiple responses for single trigger)

Hi @aorphan,

It seems like it cannot use the payload to specify the event type. However, you could instead use a different webhooks URL to distinguish between events.

You could have a try to create another endpoint that has event Type in the path.

You could refer to this source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46230634/make-multiple-webhook-trigger-configurations-in-microso...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

aorphan
Level 8

Hi @v-litu-msft ,

Yes, I have seen this post. Again, this is a third party API; i.e. we cannot modify it to suit our needs. This limitation is unfortunate, it's going to require some other difficult workaround. Maybe a wrapper or just custom code and ditch the custom connector concept.

aorphan
Level 8

I was able to workaround the problem. It's not fun and Microsoft should fix the limitation to open up triggers a bit more. Here's how I did it.

1. Make your trigger generic (I just called mine "webhook").
  2. Set the body parameter "Type" visibility to "important" and set it to a static dropdown with different options.
  3. Replace the response with an empty response (click "Import from sample" then just click "Import" without entering any input).
  4. In your flows, if you want to query data out of the trigger body, you have to do it like so: triggerBody()['SomeField'] (since you cannot specify a response for this to work)

Hopefully this helps someone else!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,177)